The Watch Site banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Special Member
3,089 Posts
Funny enough I wasn't able to access the forum through Tapatalk yesterday. Kept throwing an error and redirecting me to visit the site. Same as when I tried to access WUS...it's all good now.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
Same here. Though my phone was infected.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
well i was having the same issue with tapatalk and was not getting pm's either
well i have thought long about this as i was really wanting to make a all orange SRP777 i have
i searched high and low for the chapter ring and even got one of crystal times skx to srp conversion cases
and i love the idea of the mm300 case for the skx too
as most of us are not wealthy and can afford thousands of dollars on one watch
the crystal times stuff is the way we can have something like we all like
i would of course prefer all genuine parts and pride myself with doing that even to my own ruin spending many hours finding the correct parts for everything i put together and i know most people do not have the time or desire to do so
but if u are doing this for you and not trying to make it something it is not
i see no harm in it and if u do not represent it as genuine and u are happy with your work
does it really matter what anyone else thinks?
it is just my 2 cents and i do like the mod you are thinking about Tom
i love that Blue Dial too
please let us know if u proceed
stay safe and warm out there my friends
God Bless,John
here is the one i love that someone has done
and i am not a gold guy at all

·
Special Member
7,654 Posts
Welcome back @jringo8769 ! Good to see you back on the board !

I agree with the whole idea of creative freedom, to be completely free to design and build a watch you like because it is a hobby ! Everyone else be damned it’s your watch and your life !

BUT as a community we need to be sure people don’t get misled by unscrupulous sellers. I think a lot of the negative sentiment revolves around thinking these creations could become fakes in the marketplace. Why not let a guy do what he likes if we can trust him not to rip off a buyer ?

Also any seller making parts with the SEIKO logo, stamped end link identifiers, CASE BACKS with fake setial numbers, etc are breaking the law. Pure counterfeiting whether they want to see themselves in that light, or not. They are counterfeiters and frankly Seiko should sick their lawyers on these guys.

I guess it’s true buying an aftermarket dial with a SEIKO logo or Prospex “X” or bracelet with “SpeedTimer” or such aids and abets these counterfeit sellers and it spurs the industry on to make more options so by buying you are supporting.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
well not been doing so well with my health again and been away at my sisters while she was out of town
when a trusted valued member on here asks for our feedback
i think we should have no problems trusting him
with all the aftermarket junk floating around out there
making a watch most of us will never been able to afford unless we sell some organs or win the lottery
i am ok with making one that make him smile
i am currently wearing a Steinhart OVM 42mm which is a Rolex 5517 Homage which most would say it is a fake
but seeing that Rolex 5517's are very hard to find and close to 200 grand
i do not mind mine being a homage
and if Tom's watch has a Seiko Logo and has a Crystal times case
it is not a problem for me
if he was making them and selling them as genuine
that would be a totally different story
we all love the TST's and no one is upset when they are sold and talked about
thank u so much my dear friend for the kind words
i so do appreciate them very much
stay safe and warm out there my dear friends
God Bless you all
John

Reactions: Edinburger

·
Craftsman
329 Posts
I guess it’s true buying an aftermarket dial with a SEIKO logo or Prospex “X” or bracelet with “SpeedTimer” or such aids and abets these counterfeit sellers and it spurs the industry on to make more options so by buying you are supporting.
The main driver of the aftermarket Seiko parts is Seiko and their lack of acting to protect their IP (IMHO).

Can you imagine if someone started listing Rolex Submariner dials in a vibrant range of different colours on Ebay and clearly stating they were aftermarket in the description? They'd be shut down the minute Ebay got the email from Rolexesses lawyers, but yet the likes of Seikosis having been going for years unchallenged.

In a way we should be grateful for all the mint looking Pogues etc out there when otherwise they'd be scrap in someones drawer, but I do wonder why Seiko have no interest in protecting their trademark.

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
The main driver of the aftermarket Seiko parts is Seiko and their lack of acting to protect their IP (IMHO).

Can you imagine if someone started listing Rolex Submariner dials in a vibrant range of different colours on Ebay and clearly stating they were aftermarket in the description? They'd be shut down the minute Ebay got the email from Rolexesses lawyers, but yet the likes of Seikosis having been going for years unchallenged.
You check eBay lately?
Check further into some of the natural stone dials which also infringe upon trademarks:

I don’t think it’s fair to blame the company for someone illegally profiting on their good name.
That’s blaming the victim in this case.

To everyone else, please think about what we’re trying to do here. Do we love Seiko and respect the company for what they’ve provided us over the years? If so, I think it should be part of our mindset to avoid patronizing companies which trade on their name illegally. Suppose you built a company up from nothing and staked your reputation on the products you designed and sold. And then some one came along and put your name on a product they made, without all the hard work and initial cost of investment. Not really fair, is it?

·
Special Member
5,409 Posts
You do you for you and don't worry about what anyone thinks, unless your trying to sell a fake as legit. That's a big no no. Other than that enjoy what you like. I love my 'Skittles' mods, and yes they have Seiko on the fake dials as does my Harley dial (my own design). To me they are still Seiko watches, Seiko cases and Seiko movements. Is you car not a Chevy if you paint it and put after market badges on it, add hood scoops and fender flares, stylish wheels?

·
Banned
0 Posts
I don’t think it’s fair to blame the company for someone illegally profiting on their good name.
That’s blaming the victim in this case.

To everyone else, please think about what we’re trying to do here. Do we love Seiko and respect the company for what they’ve provided us over the years? If so, I think it should be part of our mindset to avoid patronizing companies which trade on their name illegally. Suppose you built a company up from nothing and staked your reputation on the products you designed and sold. And then some one came along and put your name on a product they made, without all the hard work and initial cost of investment. Not really fair, is it?
This post should become the motto of every watch lover, not just Seiko.

Companies have different policies, the mentioned Rolex takes the parts of the watch during the service (which is annoying) to avoid trading them on the secondary market and building Rolex hybrids outside the company ...
Seiko ma inną politykę...

I understand that someone wants to build their own watch with a Seiko mechanism, but why, instead of personalizing and putting the words "Mr.Yoda" on the dial, they put a fake dial with the words "Marine Master 300" - it will never be a Marine Master ...
Similarly, if someone showed a watch with a dial from the links in the above post on the Rolex forum, it would arouse laughter - that it pretends to be a fake, etc ...
Are we Seiko fans inferior and we like it when someone makes Seiko watches that are not Seiko?
Please answer for yourself ....

·
Craftsman
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Amazing how the "Thought" of "The possibility" of putting together a Mod watch Beater and asking a "Simple" question can provoke so much discussion. Some of it pleasant. Some of it not.

You would have thought I had built the watch and sold it as original to some unexpected buyer and then fled the forum...............

Hard efforts and do diligence sourcing parts for years to bring a cherished piece back to life never got so much attention!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
@Grammarofdesign
You know what will improve my experience? When you get off about me.
How many more times are you going to depreciate me?
I don't know what's driving you?
You're a mean guy
I think you mean deprecate. Depreciate means something else entirely

Sent from my RMX2185 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
0 Posts
I think you mean deprecate. Depreciate means something else entirely
I understand everything, there is an option "ignored user" ok, but a few times informing everyone in the thread who you are ignoring is "harassment"
A gentleman deals with such matters with another user or administration via private messages, not publicly looking for mischief (y)

61 - 71 of 71 Posts