The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering is Chrono24 any better than ebay? It seems the fee is lower and they stopped charging upfront fees. But interested to know more about their escrow services and likelyhood of being scammed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I only used Chrono24 once and as a buyer, but I hope my experience offers some insight.

Once you both agree a price, the buyer sends the money in escrow. The seller will then ship and will be automatically paid 10 days (IIRC) or quicker if the buyer confirms all is OK. Went well but the seller was nervous because it was his first time using Chrono24.

I assume it is a high value watch, so you will need to figure out the insurance for it too.

Scams can still happen, but I know some guys only sell Rolex, PP, AP, Hublot etc through it and rarely have trouble, but if they aren't comfortable with someone they won't sell to them.

Ebay this week is doing the £1 max selling fee in the UK (you might have something similar), only PayPal fees to worry about.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only used Chrono24 once and as a buyer, but I hope my experience offers some insight.

Once you both agree a price, the buyer sends the money in escrow. The seller will then ship and will be automatically paid 10 days (IIRC) or quicker if the buyer confirms all is OK. Went well but the seller was nervous because it was his first time using Chrono24.

I assume it is a high value watch, so you will need to figure out the insurance for it too.

Scams can still happen, but I know some guys only sell Rolex, PP, AP, Hublot etc through it and rarely have trouble, but if they aren't comfortable with someone they won't sell to them.

Ebay this week is doing the £1 max selling fee in the UK (you might have something similar), only PayPal fees to worry about.
Thanks for that insight. I didn't know you could choose the buyer and that's something I appreciate. Is there a rating system for users?

·
Registered
138 Posts
No ratings for buyers and private sellers unfortunately.

Some scam buyers want to do a bank transfer and have you send the watch straight away, then they will reverse it after the watch is sent.

I think you can suss them out pretty quickly from the conversations.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I've bought & sold and have had no issues, its the same story Buy the buyer - if they are looking at chrono 24 they must have some history on one of the watch forums, push for some references

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again guys. Another reason I started looking elsewhere other than ebay was because paypal stopped refunding the fees. Haven't had any issues so far but with some of the stories I read makes it seem like any idiot with buyers remorse could cancel a purchase and I'd pay out of mine. PayPal is great for buyers but can be a PIA for sellers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts