The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fellow (a registered nurse) wearing this had no idea as to its value. The lume was very faded but the watch immediately got my attention, even tho' I don't collect divers or know much about them. If memory serves, a 6105-8119 from 1973...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
I have only ever sighted one 6105 like that in the wild. A customs agent in Vancouver BC was wearing it. He didn't want to chat about it, so I didn't push the matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The caseback showed a bit of its age and the backside of the case had a sort of "roughed up" look to it. Is that normal?


aladin_sane said:
I have only ever sighted one 6105 like that in the wild. A customs agent in Vancouver BC was wearing it. He didn't want to chat about it, so I didn't push the matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Hmm, don't know, if I translate nurse right. But if I do, I'd state she has a quite hairy wrist! ;D

Cheers,

Axel

Btw: be a bit paitient with me, I couldn't get into the forum for one week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Male nurse, Axel, male nurse. They do have them here in the US. :D


Axel66 said:
Hmm, don't know, if I translate nurse right. But if I do, I'd state she has a quite hairy wrist! ;D

Cheers,

Axel

Btw: be a bit paitient with me, I couldn't get into the forum for one week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Have to complain about my favourite online dictionary (leo.com) - stop! No, it's me not reading everything to the end. oops!
After having the first translations all being female, I thought... better don't think! :)

Sorry again,

Axel, learning...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,557 Posts
That looks nice. I have never seen anybody else wearing a period Seiko.


I like 6105's au natural like that. Used but not abused. It took me ages to find the right one without a finished case and not in need of any lume cleanup.


Did you offer to buy it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, did not offer to buy (but he sounds like he'd sell it). ;) Here's the blurry phonecam pic of the caseback. The crown just spins when pushed all the way in.


Technoman said:
That looks nice. I have never seen anybody else wearing a period Seiko.


I like 6105's au natural like that. Used but not abused. It took me ages to find the right one without a finished case and not in need of any lume cleanup.


Did you offer to buy it :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
I went to a local timber yard a year or so ago and was served at the counter by an older gent who I was amazed to see wearing a very fresh looking 6105. It was Saturday morning and very busy so I didn't ask him about it. Then over the next few days I kicked myself so I found excuses to go back to buy stuff there but didn't see him again for a couple months. They got quite a lot of business out of me during that time. Finally I did chance into him again and I asked him about the watch and he showed it to me- it was pretty much like new- he'd bought it new back in the early 1970s and used it for diving, then it sat in a drawer for years and he had just recently started wearing it again. Of course I asked if he wanted to sell it and he said no- it was a sentimental thing- so I left it. I've seen him again a few times in the shop and always comment on it and kid him that if he changes his mind, I hope I'll get first crack at it. I've never had a 6105 and don't know if it would be my daily, but they sure have a wrist presence!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
It is always cool to see stuff in the wild.

Our mantra in NYC is dont get involved.
there is always, always, someone with drama and they are eager to embroil you in it.

Another collector friend actually said its duty to talk to someone who is rocking the vintage.
and I agree.

so I break cover and approach people and usually compliment the watch..
Usually its a ex service type and he had it forever.. sometimes they want to know where to make it
'look new'
once a door man had a 6309- diver on rubber and I showed him mine and he wigged out.
another time I am sitting on the fugging subway and a guy is wearing a Marine Master.

I had to talk to him, and I became the crazy guy on the train.
Usually its just enough to say 'hey' cool watch, I have this..

Turns out my dentist is a PAM guy has a titanium tobacco and wear a different strap everytime I see him.

its cool- but you do need to just compliment and move on.
I do think If some stranger approached me about a watch, we talk a bit but if they asked to buy it
Id punch them in the face.
but thats me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Nice work John.
Good to see that you struck up a good conversation with this nurse. Exceptional effort to get pics too.

kmcnyc said:
I had to talk to him, and I became the crazy guy on the train.
Afraid I've always been the 'train looney'.

kmcnyc said:
I do think If some stranger approached me about a watch, we talk a bit but if they asked to buy it
Id punch them in the face.
but thats me. :)
If anyone ever sees me and kmcnyc out together. I'll be the one with the bloody nose.

Spoke to my watchmaker today and I'll be getting my 6105-8110 back on Tuesday.
Hoping someone spots it and approaches me for a chat. I think that would be nice. Hopefully the chat would benefit us both and is not just an ego trip for myself.

Ian
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top