The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a foolish question, but it is intended seriously.
What's the difference between a modded watch and a Franken?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I think it's the originality of the parts. Use Seiko parts, it becomes (technically) a frankenwatch. Which you can also call "modded", as this includes all watches with exchanged/modified parts...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
A Franken is made up from parts from several watches, all genuine Seiko, and all exactly the same parts as were originally fitted. As soon as you swap a part for something different to how it was originally it becomes modded. Any AM is part is regarded as a modification.

Consumable items - gaskets and crystals - from other manufacturers are usually regarded as OK (i.e. not modifications) so long as a correctly matching part of good quality is used.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I can quite understand the fetishism of originality. There is no denying the power of an object, be it a watch, a car or a roman building, when we know that what lies before us is as gazed upon by its builder. This, of course, throws up the Ship of Theseus problem. The car and the building have probably had bits replaced, even when new. In a watch, it's less of an issue.
I would love to eschew the mongrel watch but looking eBay, I see some real cheap dive watches from the Philippines, lots of new bits and cheap as chips. Got to say I'm tempted and it would stop me worrying about scratching the sixties sweeties I love so much.

Yea, the path of righteousness is narrow and hard is the way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mod is like putting a spoiler on your car. Its visual. Franken is fitting a different enige and then trying to sell as original

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts