The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Special Member
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a Seiko movement on fleabay that has been re-re-re-re-listed so many times I can't count. Finally I got the right case so I went and bid for it. Suddenly I am outbid in like an hour.

Sorry, Charlie, you can keep it. Shill bidders get me so pissed I wouldn't buy it now if it was the last Seiko movement on ebay.

Anybody else get nuts over this nonsense?

·
Special Member
1,911 Posts
Never experienced it myself, but that'd pi$$ me off no end if it happened to me.

What movement you looking for?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i just ran into that with a band i was looking for...i was high bidder...seller ends auction and relists it....so i bid and now he wants brand new price for used....so sorry you had to deal with that..what movement are you needing?...maybe i can help..God Bless John

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The 2000's are good looking and a nice size, hope you get it sorted.

What gets my back up is the other day I had to bid early on an item because I had to go out shopping (yawn-domesticals), I usually manually snipe at the last second (literally). When I came back and stacked the larder I found I won the auction, fair do's but then I notice I had an email from Ebay to say I had been outbid and then it had been retracted. So some %^&t had bid me up in £10 increments then once outbid me retracted the bid. What's going on there? Shill bidding?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sounds like shill bidding to me Mike...

I saw some funny bidding a while back, it was for a cheap pottery cup and saucer, bidder 1 had stuck on a huge, win-at-any-cost bid, say £1000, and then along comes bidder 2, who by fluke does the same, and bids £2000. Bidder 2 was then apparently not happy to find they were winning at a ridiculous £1010, so they retracted their bid, and then took revenge by bidding again, at £999.

What gets my back up is the other day I had to bid early on an item because I had to go out shopping (yawn-domesticals), I usually manually snipe at the last second (literally). When I came back and stacked the larder I found I won the auction, fair do's but then I notice I had an email from Ebay to say I had been outbid and then it had been retracted. So some %^&t had bid me up in £10 increments then once outbid me retracted the bid. What's going on there? Shill bidding?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Could well be shill bidding and it most likely is but some bidders do that to find out where the high bidder's max is. Then they'll retract their last bid and snipe the auction at the end.

·
"The Prospector"
4,692 Posts
I've had similar, where I'm outbid and 2 secs after the auction ends, a second chance offer comes winging its way thru on email!!!

·
Ultimate Collector
3,303 Posts
I've had similar, where I'm outbid and 2 secs after the auction ends, a second chance offer comes winging its way thru on email!!!
That's what really annoys me. Recently I went to the theatre for an evening, so I put in a slightly over the top maximum bid that should be plenty high enough to win the watch on ebay. When I got home I found an e-mail that said I was outbid and the winner retracted his bid, so I have a second chance to buy at my maximum amount.

Well no thanks. He can keep it. That is a scam to see how far you were prepared to go. So on principle I never accept a second chance offer on that basis.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe I was shilled?

Wow! I never knew this happened with such regularity. I do remember a second chance bid in my early eBay bidding days, before I learned the timing of it all. I was still happy with the price, so I took it. Satisfied with the price and the timepiece I it didn't cross my mind until I read this thread. Maybe I was shilled?

·
"The Prospector"
4,692 Posts
Yup, I've had several second chance offers, I never accept on principle,
The principle being...I don't like getting stitched up !!!
That's what really annoys me. Recently I went to the theatre for an evening, so I put in a slightly over the top maximum bid that should be plenty high enough to win the watch on ebay. When I got home I found an e-mail that said I was outbid and the winner retracted his bid, so I have a second chance to buy at my maximum amount.

Well no thanks. He can keep it. That is a scam to see how far you were prepared to go. So on principle I never accept a second chance offer on that basis.

·
Special Member
1,933 Posts
Seiko 7005A to fix up a great 7005-2000 (my 3rd one, I'm a fool for this model)

I have a couple of 7005A movements that came in a mixed bag. You're welcome to one for the price of postage if it's of any use to you. Unfortunately they're both missing the balance, but balances appear to be available on EBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have been after a SPB001J1 for quite a while and started to bid on a nice example last week but then bidding went crazy. I put a price of £360 which should of easily secured it but was outbid in £10 increments straight away. That was it for me, stopped bidding and ended getting a new one on WUS for not too much more. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That is absolutely with out a single doubt in my mind seller shill bidding. They expect you to believe in the matter of one hour the high bidder emailed asked to be let out of the contract because you can not retract the bid. The seller would have to agree. Why would the seller agree to take the lower bid unless it was a shill bid that was higher. I have gotten so fed up I have replied to a couple of these second chance offers and called the seller a shill bidder and liar right in an email. I'm done being nice on eBay when everyone else cheating any lying. I ripped one guy to shreds on a bid on a 62 MAS after he second chance offered me. I countered him and offered him $100 dollars less than my highest bid and I demanded he pay for express shipping the watch also. and I also asked him what happened to the winner of the watch who just won it an hour ago?
He refused my offer and relisted it the next week. The best part was his final auction bid was $200 dollars less than what I offered him the week before. I sent him another email and laughed at him and told him if he was not such a greedy shill bidder he would not be out $200 dollars. Now that was justice!

·
Special Member
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a couple of 7005A movements that came in a mixed bag. You're welcome to one for the price of postage if it's of any use to you. U
Tritto thank you for the kind offer. Plus thanks to OldHippie too.

I got things sorted so no need. But the generosity is much appreciated and is what makes SCWF so great!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Another example of a seller I'll stay away from:

On german Ebay a watch caught my interest, as it was a spring drive seiko. Not the prettiest side profile, but GMT and hey, if I can get it for a good price...
Needless to say, the price went up beyond what I would pay rather fast, to close at 1799,- Euros. Okay, maybe I didn't know how much they go for.

But it seems that the winner did not want the watch, as it is now listed again, for the princely sum of 2.333,33 Euros.

Hum.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,303 Posts
Another example of a seller I'll stay away from:

On german Ebay a watch caught my interest, as it was a spring drive seiko. Not the prettiest side profile, but GMT and hey, if I can get it for a good price...
Needless to say, the price went up beyond what I would pay rather fast, to close at 1799,- Euros. Okay, maybe I didn't know how much they go for.

But it seems that the winner did not want the watch, as it is now listed again, for the princely sum of 2.333,33 Euros.

Hum.
I was watching that one too. I thought the final price 1799 Euro's was more than enough money for it. I already have a SNR015 which is essentially the same watch but in a nicer silver colour which I paid less than that closing amount. It's the same seller relisted it. I guess he wanted more!

Here's mine (previous owners photo):

1 - 20 of 27 Posts