The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I've bought another 'cheap' Seiko on the bay. It is marked on the back 6309-8900

and on the dial 6309-820L :-

At first sight I was really pleased, other than some minor blemishes on the dial it looks to have hardly been worn but when I tried to find '6309-8900' on the net every image shows this case :-

rear view here:-

At this point I was suspecting a real Faiko so removed the back and was pleasantly surprised to find a very clean 6309A movement and not the 7S26 that I had suspected had been 'cobbled' onto the dial. :D
Further investigation has revealed that the case, movement dial and bracelet (Z363S) all belong together and appear to belong to a 6309-8610 watch (several examples of this, that I have found images of, show the identical watch to mine) so 'all' that is 'wrong' is the case back. ;)
With this in mind I did some more searching and found the 'correct' 8610 back on http://www.speedtimerkollektion.com
Watch this space for pictures when I get it and re-finished to the same condition as the rest of the watch.
An 'interesting' exercise with, hopefully, an easy cheap conclusion.:cool:

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's the problem with Seikos, all the caseback fit any of the cases, and I've had a couple of bargains due to this, bonus for me. It's good as you can "repair" a watch with a nasty caseback sealing surface, or find one that matches your watch or a watch you'd prefer it to be :). Happy hunting!
Regards, David

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the problem with Seikos, all the caseback fit any of the cases, and I've had a couple of bargains due to this, bonus for me. It's good as you can "repair" a watch with a nasty caseback sealing surface, or find one that matches your watch or a watch you'd prefer it to be :). Happy hunting!
Regards, David
Cheers David. I'm having some fun building up a collection of some of the less 'in your face' Seiko models, both quartz and auto, from the 70's/early 80's for very little money, got another 4004 quartz with a blue dial on it's way. ;)
I'm a bit puzzled about where this one acquired the incorrect back, the watch case, bracelet, crystal and even the movement look virtually brand new, only the minor areas of discolouration on the dial give away the age of the watch (circa 1982?) and that can probably be possibly explained by degradation of the lume?

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's always a mystery, the seller never knows or even realises the case back is wrong. I bought two cases, one was a 7548 case with a 6119 case back and the 6119 case with the 7548 case back, both cheap as chips, as incorrectly listed. Both were listed as 6119 case though. Speedtimerkollektion always has bits and pieces to help find an odd part, hope it goes well.
I'd say '82 as well, though I'm far from experienced when it comes to all that is Seiko.
Regards, David

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the flea market where I get my watches, almost all the case backs are mixed up.
I get 2 case backs switched around (got them from the same stall)
I suspect the seller probably open and close all this watches at one go, resulting in the mix up. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread... but i need a bracelet like that (1st and 2nd pics, obviously)
Anybody may help to source it?
And BTW... the watch in the pics looks the same as my 6309-8610 (or at least, it say so in the case back) that should be from 1980...

Please forgive and have a nice day... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts