The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This arrived this morning, the ebay seller's pics were really poor but could just manage to see the 4004 on the dial;)
Far better condition than expected, hardly any marks on the case, and the bracelet and just a few scratches on the crystal (that appears to be mineral glass).
The case back number says it was manufactured in November 1976, the model number being 0903-8089. :cool:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I almost bid on that one but I prefer the 4004 models with the 4633 movement. I like them because the cases are big and chunky. Much bigger than many of other Seiko watches of the time unless you went with a diver model. Any chance you can post up some pictures of the 0903 movement?

Michael

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My other 4004 has the 4633 movement Michael

and is a much smaller watch, with a heavily domed acrylic crystal which I suspect is not what it should really have :( .
I flipped the back off of the blue faced one this morning and had a nightmare getting it to clip back on, so not too keen to take it back off again for pictures :(. However found these pics on the internet which are identical to the movement in my watch.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The case back on the 4004 model has to be put back on in a very specific manor otherwise they will refuse to close. There is a small indentation on the case and a small notch on the case back. You have to line these two up perfectly to get the case to close again. I'm glad I passed on the 4004 with 0903 movement. The 4633 movement is a much better movement I can see now. That picture of the 0903 movement king of looks like a half mechanical half quartz movement. Thanks for the picture.

Also I have two identical 4004 models 4633-900A models. Both have a large beveled edge crystal that is held in place by a large ring that snaps into the case. Part number 330W25GN00 and it is a flat crystal. I have tried to find this crystal for over a year with no luck. I have found a couple of Seiko domed crystals that do fit and they look ok but I'm hoping for a miracle. I have found a G&S acrylic that fits ok and is a flat top but acrylic never looks as good a crystal.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Nice lot of 4004 watches. I like the military dial one. I did not know they made a 4004 with that dial. I have 6 all together myself but all with the 4633 movement. Like I said I like the chunky stainless steel case that the one in my pictures has. It is a 4633-900A. What is the case number of the one you have with the domed crystal. I only as because finally after a 12 month search a found the correct crystal for the watch in my picture. Seiko number 330W25GN00. That little bugger has proven to be the hardest replacement part to find for any Seiko I own. I have two 4004 models that use that crystal. I don't know if the 4004 you have uses that same number. It might be the whole reason why it has that domed crystal because the correct ones are very hard to find. I will finally be able to finish the restoration on that 4004 I started last year! I refused to put it back together with the old crystal even though it was not trashed it did have a couple of good scratches on it. Once again my stubbornness has paid off!

Michael

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Hi, If it's the one below the case No is 0903-8029.

0903-8159.

Bob.......

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michael, my 4004 with the domed acrylic crystal is marked 4633-8009 and has a much smaller face than the other 4004, which has a flat, mineral crystal fitted, albeit with scratches (Boley lists the correct one for this watch as 300W76GN)
Boley lists the correct crystal for the 4633-8009 as 295W11GN00 which I will attempt to source and get fitted in the new year.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Michael, my 4004 with the domed acrylic crystal is marked 4633-8009 and has a much smaller face than the other 4004, which has a flat, mineral crystal fitted, albeit with scratches (Boley lists the correct one for this watch as 300W76GN)
Boley lists the correct crystal for the 4633-8009 as 295W11GN00 which I will attempt to source and get fitted in the new year.
I have a couple of the discontinued 295W11GN00 in my stash if you have trouble locating one yourself just let me know and I'll help you out when the time comes

Michael

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a couple of the discontinued 295W11GN00 in my stash if you have trouble locating one yourself just let me know and I'll help you out when the time comes

Michael
Only just seen this Michael :eek:hmy: , many thanks for the offer, will almost certainly take you up on it, I have been searching in vain for the last few days for three discontinued crystals, the one above, another one for another 4004 (0903-8089) which I believe is 300W76GN and a 310W34GN for my 6309-8210, I seem to have trawled through hundreds of crystals that are available with no success. :(
Wish I'd started to actively collect Seiko watches years ago when the spares were more readily available. ;)
John....

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have two of the 295W11GN00 crystals so I am willing to part with one. I do have the 310W34GN00 also but I only have one so I can not let it go. I also have the 300W76 GN00 but again I only have one so I can't let it go. Keep looking on eBay everyday and they will show up sooner or later. Like I said it took me a year to track down the 330W25GN00 for the 4004 I posted the picture of.

Michael

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Michael, no problems, will PM you for details about acquiring the spare 295W11GN00. Not too worried about the 300W76GN00 as at least that watch has the correct crystal and it isn't too badly scratched, the 6309-8210 however has the wrong crystal, which, while perfect and unscratched, feels 'loose', probably due to the wrong watch back being fitted, the crystal associated with that back number being a 305, not a 310. :mad:. I shall keep on searching on a regular basis, for both though, as you advise.
John.....

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yeah persistence is about the only way. I did not come across all the hard to find spare crystal I have in one day that's for sure. A ton of time on eBay reading ever listing with the word crystal in it. Like I said they turn up sooner or later. Often from sellers who do not even know that they are hard to find and you often can get them at a good price when you finally do find them. Good luck!

Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts