The Watch Site banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a sucker for the inherent symmetry, I suppose. I've around 40 bullheads, I've not inventoried for a while... Japanese, Swiss, Chinese, whatever. I had been watching these Seikos at the 'bay and though I'm not a fan of the large promotional logo on the dial, I put off buying one because the stated 47.5mm size is just at the very max I can wear on my middling wrists.

Yet, as the prices came down I thought why not; I don't wear anything that often anyway... and I HATE to pass up a cheapo bullhead, hehehe. So, I ordered a black-dial with weird green hands from the Japanese vendor, from whom I'd previously bought some older Citizen quartz bullheads I'd never seen anywhere else before.

In six days the Onitsuka "Tiger" arrived. And, it is just as presented, new, box, JDM docs and all. But, I found the curvature of the case more than I'd anticipated so it fits much better than I feared it might. Kool!

Also, I decided I liked the bezel-less look and scanning over my hundreds of watches find that seems to be a rarer design "feature" than I'd realized. So, what the heck... I ordered the orange-dialed one as well. It comes on an orange leather strap but I just ordered a bracelet for it. Digging through the bracelet box, I found 24mm ones rarer than I'd thought.

Overall, the actual watch is nicely finished, as one might expect from a Chinese cased Seiko, but it is an obviously cheapo folded bracelet, but wears nicely enough, though it has only one notch of fine adjustment on the squeeze-button clasp.

So, I'm always awaiting what this vendor (whom I've only noticed selling bullheads) will come up with next that I'll decide I MUST have... but, NO larger--PLEASE. I lucked out on this one and don't want to try even larger; I probably wouldn't be this lucky again regarding case shape.

Attachments

·
Special Member
1,823 Posts
I do like their shoes.

That is a very large watch but it does seem to work OK on the wrist. I would be concerned with hitting the buttons if I wore it myself.

Who makes this model for them? Do you know what movement is in it?

·
Administrator
33,583 Posts
Wow I oh so want one :) :clap::clap::clap::yahoo:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think the Japanese seller still has some on ebay (worldwide ebay search setting for: bullhead watch), the black dial, orange, and a blue were all still their yesterday, or the day before. They are Seikos, pure and simple as the only English in the docs seems to note. Serial number and model number are both typical Seiko--for example, the black one pictured is VD57-0610. The movement is, of course, VD57. The serial number 38xxxx.

Also, I suppose there is some exclusive contract/arrangement with Seiko making these expressly/exclusively for Onitsuka, or I'd wonder about Seiko using a better, larger movement, a nice multi-level dial and selling the new watch under its own name. It could be a VERY striking bullhead if done correctly, imho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts