The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Always on the look out for 6139's for spares and possibly for one I have not got I spotted this on Ebay last weekend. Sellers picture.

The description was short but the spare new 330V08GNS made it worth the punt. The intention was to put the crystal into stock as they are hens teeth and use the movement to reinstate my 6002 beater. The case was devoid of any factory finish and had many small dents.

Inside the case evidence of moisture and dirt.

The crystal was a little scratched too.

But seeing the dial condition made me reconsider plans to do the watch up.

The back of the dial shows what happens when your gaskets are missing

The movement was in very good condition but not working. I discovered that the gear train bridge screws were loose effecting the chronograph center wheel.

Movement works well after a service. The dial needed to be relumed and the chipped hour and minute hands replaced with ones I had previously refurbished. I decided to keep the chronograph hands yellow.

The case was not particularly easy to work on, the correct finish on these is brushing applied from side to side which also extends down the sides. I had tried this before following instructions from Speedy but could not master the technique. Therefor I went for a non standard finish. Carefully filing the brushed finish by hand. The new crystal was crucial to the refurbishment which was finished off with new gaskets from Stefan and cousins.

·
Craftsman
3,724 Posts
Great work Mike! She's a Beauty!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Looks great considering the before photo's
I'm glad you also did yellow on my parts bin 7070.
Note to self, I must fit short pushers maybe.

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
Now that's a hell of a save - very nicely done :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts