The Watch Site banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Special Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a yellow Pogue out there on our favorite auction site advertised as a July 1970 6139-6009. I can’t see a notch in the case, but it might be there. The sweep hand is wrong, but that means nothing. The dial code, movement (6139A), winding weight (signed), and inside caseback (also signed) all look correct. And the dial has that huge halo to which the early yellow dials seem most susceptible.

On the blue dials, though, the 6139-6009 has the uppercase “M” on the “70M resist” text, whereas the 6139-6005 has the lowercase “m.” This dial has the lowercase “m.” So it would be easy to dismiss this a “true Pogue” 6139-6005 with the wrong caseback. I would love to see the date code on the back of the dial.

But here’s my question: was the 6139-6009 ever made with a yellow dial? I, personally, have never seen one.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Material property

Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
There is a yellow Pogue out there on our favorite auction site advertised as a July 1970 6139-6009. I can’t see a notch in the case, but it might be there. The sweep hand is wrong, but that means nothing. The dial code, movement (6139A), winding weight (signed), and inside caseback (also signed) all look correct. And the dial has that huge halo to which the early yellow dials seem most susceptible.

On the blue dials, though, the 6139-6009 has the uppercase “M” on the “70M resist” text, whereas the 6139-6005 has the lowercase “m.” This dial has the lowercase “m.” So it would be easy to dismiss this a “true Pogue” 6139-6005 with the wrong caseback. I would love to see the date code on the back of the dial.

But here’s my question: was the 6139-6009 ever made with a yellow dial? I, personally, have never seen one.

View attachment 485030
View attachment 485031
I want this to exist, but like you, I’ve never seen a yellow 6009. This looks like a franken to me.

The fact that the dial text has a lowercase “m” in “70m Resist” tells me it is a 6005 with the wrong case back.

6009’s should have a notch case through July ‘70, I think Tom has a July ‘70 6009 with a notch. The pictures don’t show a notch case that I can see.

Unless someone can show a picture of a 6009 yellow dial from a Seiko catalog that tells us differently

·
Craftsman
4,056 Posts
I have yet to run across a yellow 6009. There is also something amiss with that Seiko logo. It looks like it may be from a different dial. I don't ever recall being able to see the mounting holes beneath the logo like that.

I'd have to agree with Todd. Lower case "m" in Resist, wrong bracelet for the year, no notch in the case, would all point to something later then July of 70'.

I believe if there was such a thing as a yellow 6009 we would have seen one before now.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Nice one Alex... It would be interesting to see the date on the back of the dial.
Subscribed.

I’m a firm believer in the “Nothing is certain with Seiko” and it would also be interesting to know what day wheel languages Alex’s watch has.

On Alex’s example, how would we know if someone didn’t just replace the blue 6009 dial with a yellow 6005 service dial in the original case?

·
Special Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have yet to run across a yellow 6009. There is also something amiss with that Seiko logo. It looks like it may be from a different dial. I don't ever recall being able to see the mounting holes beneath the logo like that.

(snip)
I have a yellow 6139-6000 that I bought for (relatively speaking) Lunch Money due to a badly haloed dial. It has the same degraded finish under the logo mounting holes.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Measuring instrument

·
Craftsman
4,056 Posts
I can whip up a third example in about 30 minutes if that counts............:)

·
Craftsman
4,056 Posts
I have a yellow 6139-6000 that I bought for (relatively speaking) Lunch Money due to a badly haloed dial. It has the same degraded finish under the logo mounting holes.

View attachment 485063
Interesting! I hadn't considered dial degradation factor.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The date on the back of the dial would answer that question.

For now I can't answer this question. The watch was never disassembled by me. (I'm not able to do this:(.)
I purchased this watch in the US about 4 years ago. The watch at the time had a broken stem/crown.
This issue was repaired by me. Nothing esle was done because the watch was working good.
The owner told me he was the first owner of the watch.
Back case says it is from July 1969.
I will check if there are some service marks in the caseback.

·
Special Member
3,337 Posts
Similar to what Todd said, the back of the dial would tell us if it belongs or not, but if it does, could this be a service dial.

My first try at a blue bullhead was from a well respected seller in Cypress. When I got it I wasn’t sure of the dial and it needed a service do it went to Sir Alan. He took it apart and found that the dial was AM after all along with a couple of other problems. So the seller took it back, but he was surprised because he bought the watch from the original owner through an intermediary. He went back with this issue with the owner and spoke to him personally (it’s a small island). The original owner was furious and accused my seller of altering the watch, etc. But there was a record of service on the watch around the 1990s. So it seems that when that service was done, the dial was swapped and the original owner wasn’t told.

Not a perfect analogy, but it is close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
3,337 Posts
Look - another one

Based on what we’ve seen on these forums over the years, my money is on blue dials only for these variants:
6139-6007
6139-6009
Good catch Todd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rainier and SennieG
1 - 19 of 19 Posts