The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting out some feelers on acquiring a genuine Sunrise 6139-6002. Doesn’t have to be perfect, but I would like a decent one. I know I’m fishing in a small pond, but I’d like to see what’s out there.

Thanks!
Phil

·
Administrator
33,757 Posts
Perhaps you need to show what bait your using ? :)

Putting out some feelers on acquiring a genuine Sunrise 6139-6002. Doesn’t have to be perfect, but I would like a decent one. I know I’m fishing in a small pond, but I’d like to see what’s out there.

Thanks!
Phil

Reactions: mwadner

·
Administrator
33,757 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I did a WTB on another forum and and advised my budget and was offered the watch I bought at the top end of my budget, I don't know if I would have been offered if I hadent advised my budget.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of weeks ago I did a WTB on another forum and and advised my budget and was offered the watch I bought at the top end of my budget, I don't know if I would have been offered if I hadent advised my budget.
Yeah, that’s a good point. I’m not really sure what the market is, since I’ve seen so few public transactions (maybe none, now that I think about it).

I’ve been hesitant to put a number out there simply because the scammers are already hitting me up without one. If I continue to come up dry, I will try it.

·
Special Member
7,891 Posts
The right price nowadays that is fair to the seller and buyer for a good example is over $2K.
If really really nice (few of them are, the teal dials tend to de-lam both of mine did) then over $3K

I sold a nice but not perfect dial with NOS rotating ring and crystal to spruce it up for $1500 a few years ago.

Those "sales" on ebay and YJ! are not always real sales that go through but if you believe they did then over $4K has been seen. I have my doubts about whether the deals were really consumated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The right price nowadays that is fair to the seller and buyer for a good example is over $2K.
If really really nice (few of them are, the teal dials tend to de-lam both of mine did) then over $3K

I sold a nice but not perfect dial with NOS rotating ring and crystal to spruce it up for $1500 a few years ago.

Those "sales" on ebay and YJ! are not always real sales that go through but if you believe they did then over $4K has been seen. I have my doubts about whether the deals were really consumated.
This is good perspective; I’d be interested in seeing what’s out there between 1500 - 2k.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, I think it will not be easy nor cheap to find one in the wild.
Many of those out there on the auction sites are fakes and put-togethers with AM dials.
People who actually own a real sunrise will hang on to them, cos well, there are really rather pretty and hard to find.
So they'd typically only be willing to part with them for a sufficient, significant price.
You must have seen this one:
Not sure why it's a 6005...AFAIK these should be 6002...but at least the dial looks legit.
I'm sure more knowledgable folks here can chime in with additional input.
My 2 cents.

ben

·
Special Member
7,891 Posts
That's a real dial but it positively MUST be a 6139-6002 from Nov or Dec 1972 to be matching numbers.

God bless the seller to find a buyer at $3900. That is foolish money to spend.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Given that this one has a legit dial, why would it not have a correct caseback?
Something is not right, but then again, it's a 6139 Sunrise with a correct dial!!!
At the right price, I would pull the trigger, but at $3900....I dunno.

·
Special Member
3,181 Posts
Given that this one has a legit dial, why would it not have a correct caseback?
Something is not right, but then again, it's a 6139 Sunrise with a correct dial!!!
At the right price, I would pull the trigger, but at $3900....I dunno.
In situations like that, I think of a tiny east Asian shop, with multiple watch repairs going on at the same time with little regard if a 6002 goes on a 6005 and vice versa. Somewhere there is a 6005 with the correct caseback.
Or maybe the case was banged up and swapped, without realizing the importance of the corresponding caseback. Dark ages, even if it was done 20 years ago.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup, I’ve definitely seen that one, and stayed away for exactly the reasons discussed here! However, it’s the only genuine dial that I’ve seen for sale in a long while. And yet, that price … no thanks.

BTW: That person is a member here. He has reposted that particular watch for sale on Watchnet every couple weeks or so since June 2020. Considering his volume there, and both the quantity and quality of other watches he’s sold, I don’t think he’s trying to scam anyone, and I’m inclined to agree with a story similar to Rob’s.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts