The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Special Member
15,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to wear another watch for Wednesday but my 16 yr old daughter randomly came into my office and told me this is what I should wear. How am I to argue?
When I wear this watch I wonder why I bother with others.

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Font

·
Special Member
5,498 Posts
I was going to wear another watch for Wednesday but my 16 yr old daughter randomly came into my office and told me this is what I should wear. How am I to argue?
When I wear this watch I wonder why I bother with others.
She has goos taste when it comes to watches.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I hugely prefer the 6309-704x to 7290s.
While I ended up collecting many, the 7548/7290/7002/SKX style cases were always viewed by me as, - that damn case style that is too tall for the width and Should never have replaced the 704x style case.

I saw 6309-704x style in the watch displays as late as 1989, and also 7548s. I know for sure there were 7002s to be seen and no 6309s in 1990. I don’t recall ever seeing 6309-7290s available. This is specifically regarding stateside PX/BX stores. I would occainsionaly peak at Seikos in mall jewelry store displays but the prices closer to those on the tag were scary, and their selection was mostly not Dive/sport watches.

to me, at the time it was contemporary, the 6309-7290s simply did not/never existed.

Out of a few hundred Seiko diver wearing friends/colleagues from about 1985 to 2014 -
a few older guys had “funny looking” Seiko divers I now know were 6105s.
guys late 70s to late 80s coming in we’re all 704x types. Then the 7002s.
And plenty griped about no day function anymore.
And a very rare once or twice occurrence of - hey, your 7002 is 200ms instead of 150m!
By late 1990s/2000 or so it was SKXs. With a huge likelihood it was obtained from internet or other store instead of the PX.
And there were a few dual display fans as well.

Tough Digitals/g shocks were starting to show up, earliest I saw one being worn in a SOF-mil capacity was 1987. I also say what I know now were H556s and H558s being used by some at this time. Digitals and quartz were more and more edging out the basic auto divers, and the first “hockey puck” digitals with every function I first saw getting used /issued/COTs were around 99/2000.

this example runs much better than it looks.
a model I never new existed when it existed new, and never once saw in person in the wild among a large number of Seiko diver wearers over decades. Somebody had this one and used it though. I have almost never had it out in the past 17 years or so.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts