The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I refurbished a 7002 diver (full ohaul etc) and sold it.
When I was cleaning/oiling the top balance jewel the spring pinged away on me:mad:

I couldn't find it on my bench, clothing, floor etc.
I got one out of stock, fitted it, timed the movement, cased up the watch and tested it for a few days on my winder.
It went fine.

After sending it off to the guy he emailed me to say the watch wasn't going:(

I received it back today. The movement appeared locked.
I soon found out why after taking the balance and pallets out - incabloc jewel stuck in escape wheel:(

Bugger.

I'll invent some story, apologise again and send it back to him.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
With the best will in the world it can happen to all of us. Small parts pinging off into the ether are the bain of my life, compounded by my dodgy eyesight, its hell sometimes.

BTW: I once forgot to tighten the bridge screws on a chronograph, awkward technical excuses had to be made:)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't work on watches - yet - but I am a mechanic and I've had to make similar excuses after troubleshooting to the wrong part. Usually something along the lines of, "the (original part) failing stressed out the (2nd part), which caused it to fail". Sometimes it's even true :)

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Well that's why we have to say yet that we are not perfect and never will be. It always will happen to someone,
no matter what goes on. At least we can admit and continue on.
Even the Doctors say this and they are not perfect yet.
They say ........... " We are Practicing Medicine ", and..... " In our Practice ".
So look at it, even that is not yet .......... " Profected too. We are doing it to the watch.
But they are working on .......
" Us, The Human Race ". :57:
And I have heard they have even forgotten their ........
" Tools in many people too ". :41:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
With the best will in the world it can happen to all of us. Small parts pinging off into the ether are the bain of my life, compounded by my dodgy eyesight, its hell sometimes.

BTW: I once forgot to tighten the bridge screws on a chronograph, awkward technical excuses had to be made:)
Ive been wielding the spanners for 40 odd years and have always found honesty the best policy.
Ill openly admit and apologise if ive made a diagnostic error or cocked something up (sh1t happens) 9 out 10 customers appreciate the honesty, the odd one argues the toss over the bill, but the majority come back because they know they get a good honest repair done.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ive been wielding the spanners for 40 odd years and have always found honesty the best policy.
Ill openly admit and apologise if ive made a diagnostic error or cocked something up (sh1t happens) 9 out 10 customers appreciate the honesty, the odd one argues the toss over the bill, but the majority come back because they know they get a good honest repair done.
Hear, hear! I would give you my business anytime!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts