The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
29,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title would you buy an expensive (over £1500) modern watch, Seiko, Rolex, Omega etc without paperwork ?

If you would what sort of discount if any would you be wanting ?

I think the only way I would buy watch only would be if I was buying it as a wearer/keeper with no intention of ever moving it on and I got a fair discount over a complete set.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would buy, and have done so. But there's many variables. A gray market Speedmaster is very different than one from the holy trinity. New with tags and plastic wrap, unboxed but 'unworn', or clearly used? And a box is less valuable to me than the warranty card when applicable.

I have bought without both, and depending on source and timepiece may rely on the vendor for service or pay out of pocket for a warranty repair. Again, some variables to the discount off the top of my head about 25% but with a healthy range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would buy a watch in any condition with or without box or papers if I could check its condition originality myself.
On the other hand I would never buy anything that expensive online.

Sent from my SM-G950N using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
I'm with you on this one John... in the end, the watch is easier to wear than the box and papers, so if it's one I plan to keep, and also plan to wear, I see nothing wrong with buying without paperwork/box.

I actually just bought something that I thought was just a watch.. seller advertised it as having no box or papers and also indicated that the watch was priced accordingly.

This was a private sale and I met the seller in person to make the purchase just yesterday and when I got there, he had the watch and the box.. just no hang tags or papers/booklet, etc.

But I would have bought it either way as I plan to wear it and the seller had discounted it to bring in funds for another purchase.

I think that if it's an in-person deal, or you know and trust the seller,and the watch can be authenticated, then it's ok..... but if the seller is unknown and it's an online purchase, box and papers are part of the authentication of the watch.

Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
When it comes to modern watches I prefer to have them new and unworn with unopened box, stickers and everything as it makes it part of the experience, but majority of my watches are vintage pieces and not having box and papers doesn't bother me at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts