The Watch Site banner

Which of the following is in your opinion the real "first Seiko dive watch"?

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would stir up a bit of controversy this quiet Wednesday evening! The generally accepted first Seiko diver is:

"The 150m water proof 6217 "62MAS" is Seiko (and Japan´s) first true diver, and as such enjoys a position of undisputed horological significance."

However, depending on our definition of dive watches, the following statement can also be made:

"Prior to the 1964 Tokyo Olympics (with Seiko as Official Timer), Seiko had introduced its first range of truly submersible sport divers with (internal) rotating countdown bezels (in the form of the Seikomatic 50m Silverwave (1962) and the Sportsmatic 30m Silverwave (1964). "

1964 Seikomatic 30m Silverwave diver (left) with 1967 62MAS diver (right)

So, the question is - is the 62MAS really undisputed as "the first" and which, in your opinion, is the real "first Seiko dive watch"? Look forward to hear your thoughts and reasoning!

·
Registered
982 Posts
As beautiful as the Silverwave is (and probably the closest Seiko, in looks, to the wonderful super-compressors used by the Suisse) the fact that theyy're only rated to 30-50m discounts them from being real divers in my opinion.

I'd still love one though!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I voted for the 62MAS, as the Silverwave does not have a lume pip (or however the dot on the bezel insert is called) and it has no lume on the second hand.
However, I think the SilverWave is the nicer watch!

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yeah, 62MAS for me too, since the Silverware does not have a lume pip AND is only rated to 50 m.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
The silverwave is the first seiko to introduce the Tsunami logo and diver characteristics that define many later seiko divers. It is, however, NOT a true diver. That honor falls to the 62MAS.

ON the revision of the Diver's reference, I included the Siverwaves because of their historical significance as it relates to seiko divers, and not because they are true divers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The SilverWave, since 50m was about the sport diving limit (and still is). Obviously the 62MAS was a more capable design. Keep in mind that the world's first dive watch, the Omega Marine (1932), didn't look much like today's dive watches, and I doubt it was reliably watertight to anywhere close to 50m, but it gets credit as the first purpose-made diver. Since the SilverWave was also purpose-made for sport diving, I think it should get the honor, as Seiko intended.

paul

PS: Gabe, I don't think the qualifications for a true diver were agreed upon in '62, although 150m would soon become the standard.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The Silverwaves were the first Seikos designed for diving. Sure, they don't meet the modern definition of a dive watch, but that shouldn't preclude them from being recognized as Seiko's first attempt at creating a dive watch.

If today's definition of a Dive watch changed in the future in a way which would disallow the 62MAS from being called a diver, would those who pick the 62MAS then stop considering that Seiko's first diver?

·
Registered
547 Posts
So we might realistically call the 62MAS Seiko's first modern diver - a watch that features attributes accepted today as necessary in a diver's watch. The Silverwaves were early attempts at creating dive watches, but would be considered water resistant sports watches by contemporary standards.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I guess that if we apply our modern criteria for a dive watch, then the first one would be the 62MAS, but at the time, when there were no ISO standards, possibly (probably?) the Silverware was a real world diver.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I think the definition of diver watch has to relate to the watches ability to do just that, which is to be able to dive with it. The Silverwave, to me at least, was great for surfers or other water based hobbies, sports that didn't require the need for any substantial depths. You could 'dive' with a 6217..

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
water70proof said:
PS: Gabe, I don't think the qualifications for a true diver were agreed upon in '62, although 150m would soon become the standard.
I'm pretty sure you are right as it pertains to ISO, but there were various prior standards for dive watches and for water resistance before they were streamlined by the ISO in the early 70's. I'm not saying that the silverwaves were built to a specific standard, but that the 62MAS most likely was.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I like both and the 62mas has a certain pull because of its first diver status but...........i think the silver wave wins hands down in the looks department, drop dead gorgeous as my daughter would say :)

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I concur, entirely, I need to get me a Silverwave. Classic design..

TheTigerUK said:
I like both and the 62mas has a certain pull because of its first diver status but...........i think the silver wave wins hands down in the looks department, drop dead gorgeous as my daughter would say :)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Indeed. If there was ever a vintage seiko worth reinterpreting as a modern release (notice I didn't say reissuing, as I don't think modern audiences would like such a small piece and such humble specs), these two Silverwave models are perfect candidates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts