The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to screw down the crown of my 7s26 0030 the date wheel tries to move to the next date. With a bit of jiggling and patience you can eventually do it. It looks as if the the stem only needs to go in a smidge further and then the crown would screw in ok. I have tried it with the movement out of the case and it works ok. I think that the free end of the crown is worn and just fails to push the stem completely in before it butts up against the threads of the casing. I have bought a new stem and crown but the crown is "fixed" type so I am not sure how that is going to work out. I would rather preserve the original if I could. Two things spring to mind. I could maybe take a thread off the threaded tube that the crown screws onto. Or, extend the stem somehow. I reckon 1 to 1.5 mm would do it. I don't hold out much hope of being able to release the crown from the stem, if I could unscrew it a turn or two it might do it. Can you get an extender tube so I could cut the stem on the threaded portion and screw both ends into threaded sleeve?
Just feeling my way around here so would be really grateful for some advice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Well hello great to have you with us....just so i am clear...you can get the stem to work correctly when it is out of the case and the crown will screw down tightly into the case?...it sounds like the stem length is just too short...i think the simple solution would be to just replace the whole piece but if you want to keep the original crown...a stem extender sounds like what you need...God Bless John

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
I've never dealt with the 0030, but i think you will find the fixed type crown and stem is the correct one for it, that is true in the case of the 0020/0040 and 0050 and the 7002's that preceded the SKX series.
If the existing stem and crown on your 0030 is a 2 piece one, then i would think its after market and the stem hasn't been trimmed to the correct length.
Definitely do not try and shorten the tube thread.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the stem is perfect when the movement is out of the case and the crown screws on just fine.
I just assumed that the 2 piece crown was the original as it was fitted to the watch when I received it and it looks as old as the watch itself. The new crown and stem that I bought was labelled as fitting a 0030, I thought that maybe 2 piece ones were just too difficult to make to a reasonable price so selling a fixed crown type was the next best thing.
I was puzzled about obtaining the correct length of stem if I use my new stem and fixed crown. If you push the stem in fully then there does not seem to be any movement left for the crown to screw onto the thread thereby pushing the stem in by a few thread lengths. Hope you understand what I am getting at, kind of difficult to explain.
Thanks for your replies
Dave

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Hey i understand completely....are you sure the whole stem and crown is not too long?...i wonder if you need a genuine Seiko nos crown and stem assembly...hard to believe that they would not make that stem removable...hey let me see what i can find out..i will try and get you the info you need...God Bless John..do not mess with the case tube length...we will help you get it right...listen to Ivorbiggin...he is very knowledgeable

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was just thinking out loud really bout cutting the tube, bit savage really. Promise I won't touch it.
I will try to explain some more about what happens.

If I pull the stem to adj the time/set the date all is fine.
Then push the stem fully in until the crown butts up against the threads of the tube.
Trying to screw the crown onto the threads flicks the date wheel around.
Now at this point if I remove the case cover I find I can gently persuade the stem to enter a fraction more, maybe a mil, at which point the stem release lever pops into view and the stem is fully home.
The crown will now screw down no problem and does not interfere with any of the day/date wheels.
Next time I pull the stem the same happens, when pushing the stem back it just does not go in far enough to "engage neutral" (sorry, I used to be a mechanic) and for the release lever to appear
This is what makes me think that the 2 piece crown is slightly worn and is not pushing the stem just far enough each time after I pull it.
The watch was a non runner when I bought it so I am not sure if it behaved this way beforehand. Maybe it has been fitted with the incorrect stem/crown at some point.
If, as Ivorbiggin says it should not have a 2 piece crown anyway then all I need to do is figure out the correct length of my new stem and fit that with the fixed crown.
We'll get there I'm sure, with the benefit of some good advice from your goodselves.
Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
This might help

http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/36877-new-crown-stem-7s26-0040-too-short.html

And if i remember correctly i purchased the incorrect crown/stem from Melt and fitted it to a 7s26 0010.

You cant trim the stem on a one piece crown/stem assy.
I'd also check the stem aligns perfectly with the movement, if the movement has the incorrect case washer (the black plastic ring around the movement) the stem wont enter correctly with the movement in the case, but will with it out of the case. IIRC there are two different case washers available for the 7s26 one is 0.5 mm (i think) higher than the other.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looking into the stem hole, all appears to be perfectly aligned. The new stem that I got ( from Ramon) operates perfectly with the watch in the case. It would just need some of the excess threads cutting off before fitting the crown. However I have only just noticed that even if I did that, the stem is not threaded far enough along it's length so there is no way it is going to fit. I don't have the tools to thread the stem further down. Not sure what to do now.
Please could you possibly explain what you mean by not being able to trim a one piece stem /crown assy John.

Just found this and thought it might help.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/42811-7s26-0030-0040-crown-dimensions.html

This is exactly what I have bought from Ramon, but the threaded part on mine stops way before the point at which the stem diameter increases as shown in the picture.
So either it is a faulty one I have or the wrong stem. So assuming I can get him to send me one as in the picture, will I be able to fit it to my watch? It is marked as such but like I say mine had a 2 piece crown.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well hello..i am confused..you state the new stem is perfect and works well..are you saying that it is separate from the crown and when you screw the crown onto the stem..there is not enough threads to tighten it down to the right length?...so the only issue is now that the overall length is too long?...if i understand you correctly...God Bless John...i think we are getting close to getting this right for you...

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
A one piece crown and stem assy is one complete piece, the crown will not separate from the stem, therefore its impossible to trim the stem.
The one you have that came with the watch is in 2 pieces (if im reading it right), you have a stem which is threaded and screws into the crown.
You can trim the 2 piece by cutting a small amount off of the thread of the stem, making the whole assy shorter.
The one piece crown/stem is the correct one for your 0030, but if you follow the link i gave you will see that there is often problems with AM parts.

Just had a quick look at Ramons site and he has nothing listed for a 0030 crown and stem, but does have a 0050 crown and stem listed, its a 2 piece that has to be trimmed to fit. Hmmmm

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thats about right jringo. If you see my edit to my last reply it might help.

Just read your reply John. Thanks, I see what you mean about a one piece crown and stem.
If you see the link in my previous post that is what I have got except with the problem that I have mentioned. And they came as two seperate pieces, as he advises on his website that they may need to be trimmed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It sounds to me as though the stem is too short and not moving out of the date set position before the crown screws down onto the case tube.
In my experience this can be caused by two things.
1 - the setting lever spring has not been lubricated sufficiently and requires too much force for the setting lever to click into place
or
2 - the stem has been cut a fraction short.
The correction for the first problem is obvious. To correct the second issue I would normally cut a sliver of lead solder from the end of the roll and drop it down the thread of the crown then screw the stem back in. This will pack the stem out a fraction and make it engage before the crown is screwed down

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I could get the stem out of the crown that is exactly what I would do Nick. But, it's been in there a long time and I have my doubts. I have experimented with an old dress stem and I managed to separate the crown from it by heating the threaded part of the crown with an electric soldering iron until I could see the locking compound or whatever they use bubbling around the threads, it then screwed off. I have tried it with mine but dont want to apply too much force in case it snaps.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well now that makes sense...they sell pre made lengths so they are more of a drop in...and if he got the wrong one...it might be too long or too short...Ivor...there is no way to remove the stem from the one he got?...well it looks like he needs to one of two things..this is what i would do...get a genuine seiko part...that way he should no longer have this issue..or hew can just get a new stem for the two piece design but that is problematic in itself as they never came with a two piece design if i understand you well...i have been in the automotive parts business for most of my life and we run into this often...i had no idea that the watch world had the same issues...

Well DaveA...i think the best thing to do...is take both the old crown and stem and the new crown and stem and start over...both seem to be wrong and will not work like they should and will just give you headaches...have you tried to post on trading post to see if anyone here might have what you need in a genuine part?...from what i gather from all of this...that aftermarket parts some are great and made to a very high standard...some are not exact and very hard to get it to fit all watches..i truly think that if you find a genuine part...your troubles will be solved...God Bless John

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
hey i have one more idea...we say the stem is not removable..is it not removable due to the compressible crown and the non ability to hold it still to remove the stem?...just off of memory that the stem seats and then you push down the crown to screw it in...right?...so a solid one would have it's own problems too..is there any way a pin vise could hold the crown so you could remove the stem or are they press fit and not designed to be removed?...i am just brainstorming..God Bless John

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Thats about right jringo. If you see my edit to my last reply it might help.

Just read your reply John. Thanks, I see what you mean about a one piece crown and stem.
If you see the link in my previous post that is what I have got except with the problem that I have mentioned. And they came as two seperate pieces, as he advises on his website that they may need to be trimmed.
Looking at that link, what you have got is an AM stem and crown, its 2 pieces. Its a threaded stem and a seperate crown.

What you should have is this.
No thread on the stem, its a direct fit into the crown, if it cones apart its stuffed.(one piece)
zzstem.jpg
What i think your describing is this
zz stem2.JPG
Its after market, and you can unscrew the stem from the crown.(2 pieces)
The stem has to be trimmed to fit the watch.

Is the one piece you have purchased from Ramon really a 2 piece?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yep, it came in two pieces. A long portion of thread at the end which would need to be trimmed off, as he advises in his description. It looks like the second picture you show, except mine does not have enough thread to make the stem short enough. It has only half as much thread as the one in your pic. I am sure I still have the packet it came in and it was marked as 7s26 0030/40.
Could I buy a new Seiko original? Seems like this one is not really what I need.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Two options,
A, buy the correct crown and stem, a one piece that will fit without problems, (rocking horse manure)
B, buy a new threaded stem, trim it, and fit the am crown to it from the one you bought from Ramon.

New full length threaded 7s26 stems are available from "Time by mail" or "Cousins" and others in the UK, Google is your friend.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well that makes so much more sense now...thank you Ivor...time to bite the bullet and get the proper one...that is why the other one is problematic...God Bless...John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many thanks for your patience and help. Reading through the whole thing again I think I might have muddied the waters somewhat. Apologies. I incorrectly latched on to your mention of a single piece crown and stem to mean that the crown (just the crown) was like the one Ramon sent, without the clutch-like mechanism on the end to allow it to turn independently to the stem. Therefore assuming a 2 piece meant a crown with the clutch. I wasn't thinking about the whole assembly. But, "By George, I think I've got it!"
Well I have learned a whole lot already, and as a bonus my typing has come on in leaps and bounds. I will check out your suggestions for suppliers. I'm sure Ramon would send another but, blimey it's an awful long way to send such a tiny thing.
Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts