The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am close to finishing my restoration on my 6117-6400 World Time and have a question about how to properly align the red 24 hour hand.

Should it properly point directly smack dab in the middle of the indicated hour (as shown in the photo below) or does it properly point to the line to the left of the indicated hour?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
All hands should be straight up at the date change at midnight.
The 24 hour hand should be dead center on an indice or exactly halfway between indices on the hour.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To say I am an amateur at fixing old Seikos, changing dials, setting hands, etc is to give the term 'amateur' too much credit. That said, thanks to a lot of patience, my cheap Chinese ebay hand puller and setter, and good luck, I think I've managed to get the hands sorted out and set as per the original concept - pointing to the correct WT hour precisely on the line that denotes the start of the hour.

Using the 'all hands should be on top of each other at midnight' technique really proved out well.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great!
How far is that GMT hand from the dial? Seems to barely squeak by before the kink!
Oh it's close alright. And if you bend it just slightly (like I did) then it hits the raised hour markers. Took me a while to get it perfect in 3 dimensions.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I just realized that this was a modded World Timer, set perfectly at midnight such that I can barely make out the red 24 hr hand.

I must say you are not just cd_god but also the mod_god !
I can only claim fame for envisioning it.

The real credit goes to the watchmaster who made it happen (and then told everyone else in the world who jumped on the bandwagon but since he invented it I guess it is his open source code to giveaway of he wants) and Noah Fuller for creating the wavy "Seamaster" dial I wanted an Yobokies for sourcing the GMT hand.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/20-mod-restoration-reviews-how-i-modded-restored-my-watch/390-6309gmt-how-sorts.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts