The Watch Site banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Special Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share some teaser pics of the current restoration on the bench...

I realised last week that out of a few leftovers from lots I bought from Ramon there's the making of a couple of complete goers...here's one of the best cases part way through it's restoration (a few finishing touches to go...all the mmore obvious in the photos!)

Before:

After a bit of TLC...

and here's one of the four dials that didn't make the final cut:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Re: Work in Progress (Putting the Freshness Back)

I really like the way you were able to apply that radial brushed finish. Nice work. Can't wait to see the rest.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts

Hi Alex.

A little question if you do not mind; how did you apply the brushed finish? I love case finishing and will need to try that pattern of brushing myself one day.

Me and Poll's are looking forward to seeing your finished project.

Mike

·
Registered
614 Posts

pollyc said:
Hi Alex.

A little question if you do not mind; how did you apply the brushed finish? I love case finishing and will need to try that pattern of brushing myself one day.

Me and Poll's are looking forward to seeing your finished project.

Mike
I second this, how did you do it? It looks awesome. I haven't been able to think of a good way to do it as yet.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

You are a true craftsman. Your photos are superb as well. :bravo_2:

I am also curious as to how you did that finish so well.

·
Special Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you're interested in refinishing, and especially a radial finish I hope you've been following this thread over on TZ-UK:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?216809-Lapping-machine-case-example-pics-on-page-3&highlight=Lapping

Unfortunately I don't have $50k to spare, so my solution is a lot more low tech, and can be put together for near to $5! I'll take some photos today and add them to the thread.

As an aside, the two examples of previous watchmakers attempts at repair on the dials don't exactly fill me with confidence.

·
Special Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Work in Progress (Putting the Freshness Back) - Now with added "How To..."

OK, here's a quick run down of my five dollar alternative to the 50k lapping machine.

To make the radial brushed finish you need to rotate the case around a central point and brush a thin area in exactly the same place and direction as you turn the case.

I put together a jig using a clear plastic case rotation device (disposable shot glass), then created a fixed brushing point centred on the case rotation module (two offcuts joined at a right angle), and fashioned some 3mm watch case brushing tools (lollypop sticks with different grades of sandpaper both glued and taped on).

The technique is then to slowly turn the case on the rotation module whilst holding the brushing tools tight up against the fixed brushing point and brushing the case along its radii.

or

Put the watch case on the upturned plastic shot glass which has been fixed to a bit of wood with strong double sided tape. Hold the lollypop sticks with sandpaper glued onto their edges against a second piece of wood attached at right anles to the first so that the end is aligned with the centre of the shot glass. Rotate the watch case and sand, with the same movement and pressure, all around the case. Repeat with different grades of sandpaper until you get the required finish.

confused? These pics should help:

By the way, there are loads of uses for the disposable shot glasses, they're a highly recommended addition to the work bench...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

:bravo_2: :bravo_2:

very nice work!

smart solution ;)

·
Craftsman
4,013 Posts

Great post and I appreciate the tips + photos!

I have a few cases that could use a touch up and this is just the ticket.........

·
Registered
5,973 Posts

^-^ Alex, that is truly wonderful, lateral thinking at its best.

Actually you replaced a cheepo 50K lapping machine with a flesh and blood bio machine. Cost.....priceless.

Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts

:iagree:

Very inspiring Alex ! I'll need to do radial brushing sooner or later, I'll keep your clever solution in mind

·
Registered
931 Posts
Looks Good....I did something similar [strokes in one direction lug to lug] on one of my cases where someone had scratched in their name . I used Ladies emory boards , the type they use for their nails . They come in many grits . I started with a coarser board to remove the name and moved to a very fine board . It came out OK.

·
Special Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seeing as this post has been resurrected today, thought I'd add a couple of shots of the finished product, which I posted elsewhere:

And the other:

Together...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts