The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its model number BN4020-05E should be with Me by Thursday as i'm off from Flying duties due to Passport Renewal(Less than 6 months left on it)its barely used and was a bit of a bargain.Will post photos once I have it and had a play around with its features.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Congrats! Please do post your impression on the watch when it arrives. I have been eyeing the altichron for a while, that looks to be an interesting watch. But owning two Casio pathfinders with the latest gen sensor (PRW3000 and PRW6000), I am missing that little "push over the edge" on the purchase.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats! Please do post your impression on the watch when it arrives. I have been eyeing the altichron for a while, that looks to be an interesting watch. But owning two Casio pathfinders with the latest gen sensor (PRW3000 and PRW6000), I am missing that little "push over the edge" on the purchase.
Will do My Friend.

·
Registered
629 Posts
"Push it, push it real good!"

·
Registered
261 Posts
is it possible test watch altitude in the cabin?...please post some shots. i am looking to get this model

thanks jim

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello one and all watch arrived early this afternoon it looks completely unworn its big but not huge and extremely lightweight due to the Titanium and Duratect casing.Two things struck Me immediately,the Lume and also the pure genius design of the watch.I purchased it from a UK Jewellery liquidator so it came in an EcoDrive Inner/Outer packaging but I had to download the instructions from Citizen's excellent website.Its over 49MM in case width and case depth is about 17MM but I cannot stress enough how light it is on the wrist.I had to set the time and date also mine is the metric version the dial is a bit busy but it just looks so cool with a 3-D effect due to the way the dial is constructed so much so that My Wife and I popped into Costa Coffee for lunch that the Girl behind the counter commented,"That is a really great looking watch which company makes this?".Looking at the second hand going around the dial it hits the hash marks spot on.Now as to testing the watch whilst I am flying I will of course have to calibrate the Altimeter to take into account the Cabin altitude.Another aspect is the Rubber strap is very supple and soft but hard-wearing.I will do some more tests and post photos tomorrow.Thank you for letting Me share.

·
Registered
410 Posts
is it possible test watch altitude in the cabin?...please post some shots. i am looking to get this model

thanks jim
It "calculate" the altimeter reading by air pressure. If the cabin is pressurized, then the watch would "estimate" the altitude with respect to the air pressure value. So it won't read the true altitude in that case.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Boeingdriver, congratulations once again!

Fearing of being lynched by the vast majority in the forum, but I'll dare saying that latelly Citizen is giving Seiko a run for its money with the latest Promaster releases.

The overall quality of the watches has been a cut above what Seiko has been offering for awhile, already. No misaligned chapter rings, no rough crowns, no sloppy seconds hands hitting the markers in between them...

The quality in this new Altichron (as greatly pointed out by Boeingdriver) is really outstanding. It has to behold live in the metal to be appreciated properly. Like I said, the case itself is a work of art.

Ti + DLC + Duratech = win!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Cool......I think! What does it do exactly?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Barometer and Compass functions, internal bezel, dual screw-down crowns (one for the internal bezel, another for the hour/minutes/calendar setting), W.R. 200M, which means you can use for diving, although not a dive watch per se, luminous hands and indexes...you need anything else?

Really, I won't use any of those complications really (barometer and compass), but the watch is flat out COOL (both from aesthetics and tech features - even if you don't know how to use'em properly, such as me, LOL!)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Barometer and Compass functions, internal bezel, dual screw-down crowns (one for the internal bezel, another for the hour/minutes/calendar setting), W.R. 200M, which means you can use for diving, although not a dive watch per se, luminous hands and indexes...you need anything else?

Really, I won't use any of those complications really (barometer and compass), but the watch is flat out COOL (both from aesthetics and tech features - even if you don't know how to use'em properly, such as me, LOL!)
Great post Chris as always its a great pleasure to read Your watch musings oh and I love the colour of Your Altichron.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It "calculate" the altimeter reading by air pressure. If the cabin is pressurized, then the watch would "estimate" the altitude with respect to the air pressure value. So it won't read the true altitude in that case.
Very correct Sir usually on the B-777 that I fly Cabin Altitude is set to around 8000 ft.,Our cruising altitudes are around 36000-38000ft.,so the watch would not be able to read altitude spot on but an estimated value would be indicated.Now on the Dreamliner cabin altitude is set at 6000 ft.allowing for even greater passenger comfort and a less drier atmosphere.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Lume is very good and lasts around 7-8 hours after minimal exposure to a light source.Checked the compass and that is spot on without any calibration by Myself.Very impressed so far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts