The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings guys.

Im a relatively new watch enthusiast, very new in fact, only less than 1 yr. But i have been actively buying from ebay since 2000. So i do know a thing or two buying things online. And i live in asia. Ok just a very brief introduction about myself.

Just want to clarify something, and maybe educate myself along the way.
Think some of us know that theres a Seiko black samurai FS now. Im very much a buyer and very rarely a seller. I usually only pay by Paypal the last recent yrs of buying, as we know that it offers 100% coverage should the thing not turn up or turn up as not describe. When i start to buy watches, then i got to know and understand about seller protection, AKA the charge back thing. Thus i understand why some sellers do not accept PP payments from buyers whom they never deal with. Worried that they get scammed and got charge back from their credit card. Well bad people exist everywhere, curse them for stealing peoples hard earn money. Maybe I'm wrong, but think if the the sellers does send in proper registered mail to the buyers PP registered address, then maybe they are more covered. Again, my brief knowledge of this, just to share. The day i really wants to sell actively online i make sure I jam myself with google info about this. Now I just continue buying.

So the seller of the watch doesn't trust me enough for me to send payment thru PP. Totally understand. So i decided to bank wire instead for the first time, and in a long time i buy without protection. But i do trust him enough from the email correspondences. He's a very sincere and honest guy, at least to me.

As he resides in Greece, I'm wondering if they have a different kind of system there or something. To me, wire should be the safest for a seller isn't it and worst for a buyer. Once i wire over thats it. I can't retrieve my funds should anything go wrong. Again, pardon me if I'm wrong pls.

But according to him, i can't do wire because if i do that, he can't under-declare the value when he wants to ship the item to me. Thats the part i don't understand. What has my payment gota do with this?
Whether he uses what courier and to declare at what value has noting to do with my payment mode to him isn't it? No?
I can understand if he's not willing to under declare on a "ethical front with taxes", if you know what i mean.

So now he wants us try western union. Well we all know theres always a bad rep with western union and scams isn't it. To me western union and bank wire makes no difference since I'm already "flying naked". My question is why does he wants to do that and what has this gota do with what value he is declaring when shipping the item.

Is it a system in greece or is it plain ignorance from me as a non-seller. Coz if me and him can agree not to insure the item and not declaring full value, then why WU instead of bank wire.

Thanks guys for reading this lengthy question. Hope to understand more from you.

Warmest.
Cris

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Well hello and welcome to the forum...glad to have you with us...RED FLAG....this sounds like a scam...i would never ...EVER...do what he is asking you to do...you have no protection..if you have not paid him...back out of this deal and find another one...i have bought and sold for over 25 years and have been using Paypal for business and personal since it started....Paypal may be a pain to some...and yes they charge...they also protect you...it sounds like he wants to make sure he gets all the funds with the least way for you to be protected....why wont he take paypal?...please be safe and if you need anything i am more than glad to help...God Bless John

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Don't walk, run away from that!
As you say, no logic in that requirement. Bank transfer has nothing to do with shipping declarations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John for your warm welcome. Watch collecting indeed is a slippery slope for our bank accounts! Ahaha.

Perhaps my offer cannot meet his asking if I pay by PayPal. We all know their exchange rates are from Mars. And also he is worried about the cbarge back thing I guess. Thing is if I'm willing to bank wire which also offers no protection to me at all, why the insistent to do western union instead. That's the puzzling part for me.
And he did not mention if he has any ethical issues about my request to under delare the value.

Im not sure how long he's been doing e-commerce, perhaps he's just misinformed about how all works.

This discussion is purely for my education sake,and maybe his. If he's an honest seller and just misinformed, perhaps we should let him know that bank wire is absolutely the safest for seller isn't it. And that has nothing to do with the issue of wanting to under declare the value or not, and any risk or whatsoever.

And to the sellers that holds the principal that its only right we pay taxes, I apologize for discussing this. Pls bear for while I seek to understand this.

Thanks again to all.

Warmest.
Cris

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thanks Cris for telling for this thread

Now
Let's clarify some things
Since the finger is pointed to me (cause I'm the only one from Greece selling a samurai , right?)

I m a vendor in SCWF , I have made hundreds of transactions not only in here with great guys but in many other people from all over the world
My feedback is impeccable.

When someone contacts me , for a sale I ask for feedback or reference.
If it is for a strap, i might take the risk, after all the cost is much less than a Seiko samurai.
But for this rare watch I have to be more careful, I m not rich, nor have many watches
But anyone had deal with me can verify that I m honest and do the best I can for people that support my work.

Cris had no reference
I also did a search on his email and found nothing.
So to be covered I asked PayPal as friends/ family
I mentioned that I always take a video packing the watch , and take pictures to the post office and send him.
I gave him my email, to check me, and could provide reference if needed.
He told me he can't do friends/family from Singapore
I understand

I asked for western union (never used this but they told me this is the safest way for me, to be covered from someone with no reference, no feedback.

He told me he could do bank wire.

I thought, ok why not
But I wanted to ask my brother in law to be safe.
My brother in law works in a bank
I asked him and he told me
That even with bank transfer, the buyer might deny the transfer/ask for refund if the item does not match the description
When you send money there has to be a reason for it
If the sender quotes "800€ watch "
And I send a package "200€ spare or repair or broken watch " I am not covered.
This is what I have been told
And the only way to do this was to go fully insured and declared.
Something that Cris didn't wanted, I had no problem but could not do it cause I would not be covered.

After many emails with Cris we did
Not found a solution

P.s
It would be wise to the members replying , check first the person Cris refers as a seller before calling "scam" or anything else...
I wonder if someone with no post, no feedback , no email search results came to buy something expensive, how would you deal with it?

Best

G.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
How you doing G ? :)

Nice watch your selling, hope all goes well in the deal if you do go ahead.

My dealings with you have always been top notch :)

Hello John, I m doing ok, hope the same for you :)
Thank you , u re one of the nicest/always willing to help guy. I ever deal with !

G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry if i didn't phrase this correctly. Im sure you know i do not meant in any offending way. If i don't believe you are a reputable seller, i wouldn't have offered to do bank wire.

The question here is, for my clarity sake, you mean even with bank wire, after the funds are through and you have it or even drawn it out, a seller can ask for refund?

I work in bank myself actually, thought not relevant job scope. Coz i certainly don't think theres any way a buyer can scam in this way, but pardon me if I'm wrong.
Also wire don't need state reason. Banks don't ask. Unless you received a very huge amount from overseas regularly, then maybe authorities will check you up.

Again, if you are right, then new sellers should bear this in mind then.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Well i did not realize it was a with a member here and that was not mentioned ...and no offence to you G....and to see you are a vendor here with lots of transactions...there would not be any worry...the beginning of the threads did not state that....but what i said is just good info...as you know..there are too many people sadly taken advantage ...and like most of us here...we are honest hard working people ...glad to see the sale is with members here...God Bless John
i appreciate the clarification too...looks like we needed all the facts too...and we did not have them

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thank you John for your reply

Means a lot to me , cause I have worked hard to have everyone satisfied.
It would not be fair for me not to reply here

Have a great afternoon people :)

Best

G.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No offence meant to G. or anyone, my opinion was based at the facts as I saw them at the time. If the seller is a trusted member it puts things ina different (much better) perspective.
Personally however I would never do WU MT as payment unless I was a personal friend of the recipient, but that might just be me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts