The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This year has certainly been a crazy one. For me, being new to the hobby of collecting vintage Seikos, I can appreciate the gentle ticking these little masterpieces bring to my otherwise boring existence. Throughout the day, my profession has me staring long hours into a computer screen, and I find myself enjoying the company of my 62MAS or 6105. I daresay my small Seiko collection brings me more pleasure than they did pre-COVID.

It's a strange feeling to describe. Every time I turn on the news, I find more craziness, absurdity, and devastation occurring throughout the world. I feel so lucky to be able to shelter in place with every necessity I need safely tucked away in the comfort of my home. In light of all this, the allure of vintage Seiko has captured my attention, and I find myself researching more and more models I'm interested in, particularly the diver lineup.

Anyway, cheers to my fellow forum members.

·
Special Member
2,681 Posts
Well Said Sir! I totally agree.... Seiko's watches is a fun hobby and this Forum has a lot of wonderful people. This is one of the reasons I simply can't understand why someone would come here just to argue with others or create problems. For me the SCWF is a Refuge - a small break from the harsh realities and problems of Life and the World.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
While I do enjoy my Seiko hobby, to be honest, my gardening hobby is a lot healthier for me both physically and mentally.

I love it when our famlies come to pick fresh vegetables from what I have grown in my class garden.

It started as a class project, then classes went online, and it just became my project.

No one knows what it'll be like next year.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Wow, that’s amazing! That’s not a garden, it’s a farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
While I do enjoy my Seiko hobby, to be honest, my gardening hobby is a lot healthier for me both physically and mentally.

I love it when our famlies come to pick fresh vegetables from what I have grown in my class garden.

It started as a class project, then classes went online, and it just became my project.

No one knows what it'll be like next year.

That's great - all mucking in and growing your own healthy food (Vegan here). My wife and I have (one son helps occasionally) developed a large vege garden. It's mostly her thing but it's good to help and have the joy of growing our own ;-(

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
A regular customer was in my workshop the other day and said he liked seeing all the watches etc as it made him feel calm. He said he'd like to stay and "play" with them.
I decided to jolt him out of it with Leo ;

·
Registered
174 Posts
This morning

I am sure working in your garden gives you much more pleasure and the feeling of accomplishment. I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I love watches and spend a lot of time and energy (not to mention money) on this hobby, but when I put it all together I dare to say that collecting watches is the worst out of all my hobbies and certainly the least meaningful way to spend time. I cannot give up my love and fascination with watches though, but piling watches just to have them in a box or wear them is at the end of the day a lot of time spent for something that doesn't make you grow as person or in any other way. The way I see it, the only way to make this hobby meaningful is to take a path of hobby watchmaking like many of you on this forum have taken, learn about watches and movements, resurect forgotten pieces and help preserve them, learn something new every time and help others learn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts