The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant resist a watch in need!
( This is what I wanted the 6106 movement for that Tiger has very generously given me, in case there are parts needed for the movement... )

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hopefully its not rust

Hope its not rusty or oil soaked in there but it looks real good Jason.
But the dial can be refinished I would say or even ...... touched up.
Very nice one.
Good Luck on that one man.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mmmm I think that will need quite a bit of work when you open it !! :)

(ps: Posted :) ).
Superficially it looks ok, but of course you can't see too much lol... The good news is the hands turn fine, the seconds hand will go when you shake it and the date change is fine.... We will see when Dunc gets down and dirty with it... And thanks again:cool:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope its not rusty or oil soaked in there but it looks real good Jason.
But the dial can be refinished I would say or even ...... touched up.
Very nice one.
Good Luck on that one man.
Cheers Long, ive had a bit of a dab at it with a Q Tip and it's coming off fine, I think it's pretty superficial ( I hope! )

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Superficially it looks ok, but of course you can't see too much lol... The good news is the hands turn fine, the seconds hand will go when you shake it and the date change is fine.... We will see when Dunc gets down and dirty with it... And thanks again:cool:
That is good news, sounds more promising than it first looked :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Sounds Great , you Got it

Cheers Long, ive had a bit of a dab at it with a Q Tip and it's coming off fine, I think it's pretty superficial ( I hope! )
Jason .......
Just a point, if its alright if I may suggest something
Don't use any .......... Oil Base cleaner its going to stain the dial.
The Q-Tip, Dry and try swabbing it very slow and lightly in one direction.
Only one way every stroke of the Q-Tip ,
Dont circular the motion.

>>>>>>> NOTE : Brush the Q-Tip ( .......Toward the Dial center Hole ......) only.
Go inward only .......... .
I did that with one here , took little time but did it real softly and it worked.

Movement parts can be found if needed............. But The Dial has to be .....
" Saved Good ". That's the most important part I would say of the whole Watch.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the tip tips ..lol.... Good idea to go to the Center too.... I agree , the dial and hands are the crucial parts to save...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The Dial ..

If you start to get results , remember that after you remove that it will still have some kind of residue from the actual stain. Take a cotton ball,
Part it so it be open as to a large flat looking I like a (pancake ),
sit it on the dial completely and put a light counter weight on the whole dial.
That will absorb the residue yet still unseen that has become loose from
breaking the sealed surface of the stain.

I you have some ( Powered Borax ) handy , very, very lightly sprinkle a amount of light dust
like power on it on, the stain area, as to not let any of it on to the lettering or Indices or markers.

( Borax ), I have used to lightly dust sprinkle onto the LUME'S, when I found that they have Mildew on the and are looking like Rot. Some times it worked on some I did, and some just was to old.
Jason I have used Borax which is also used when we ( I did Taxidermy work ( as a hobby before) , because it dries up any moisture on what is being worked on.
Dab a little on the dial area that has the stain then get ( one of the real fine make up brushs ), that women use and very gently brush off until it is all gone. ) again only one direction. Now just let the dial dry with the cotton on it for a while. It worked for me on quite a few here so it might also for you.
Depends on how hard the brushing it done as to don't destroy anything.
Again only one direction so the dial paint wont rub or curl up and fall off.
Also clean the back side of the dial because the (un-seen residue ) is on there also.

Just a point again,
Hope I am not intruding in what you are doing Sir.
After all I am not a PRO watch guy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Best of luck. Glad you got your hands on it and not a seller who will fill it with AM parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers fellas, Im glad I got to it first too...

Just a point again,
Hope I am not intruding in what you are doing Sir.
After all I am not a PRO watch guy.
Thanks buddy! No way would I think that, this is what its all about, a community helping each other out with advice and experience, a collective sharing a passion....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, just got the 6105 back from Duncan, quite a transformation, luckily the dial wasn't affected by the rusty deposits and its cleaned up nicely ......
The internals were stripped down and thanks to Tigers donated movement the seized hour wheel and canon pinion that caused the rust were separated and replaced.

He also drilled out and replaced the Seiko logo as the original was tarnished...Skills!

The finished article.... Obviously it was never going to be perfect, but its very presentable indeed, looks better in real life than in the photos, Im lucky to have a awesome 6105 already so to have a 'beater' version I can wear with no worries is great, and even with all the work it has been a quite inexpensive watch all in all...

All photos are Duncans...... Many thanks again Duncan a great result...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, just got the 6105 back from Duncan, quite a transformation, luckily the dial wasn't affected by the rusty deposits and its cleaned up nicely ......
The internals were stripped down and thanks to Tigers donated movement the seized hour wheel and canon pinion that caused the rust were separated and replaced.

He also drilled out and replaced the Seiko logo as the original was tarnished...Skills!

The finished article.... Obviously it was never going to be perfect, but its very presentable indeed, looks better in real life than in the photos, Im lucky to have a awesome 6105 already so to have a 'beater' version I can wear with no worries is great, and even with all the work it has been a quite inexpensive watch all in all...

All photos are Duncans...... Many thanks again Duncan a great result...
Very nice. And thanks for all the great info and walking us through the job. Great outcome/ sweet watch!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts