The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct word for a wind up watch ? I know mechanical is an Automatic but what about a a wind up watch ?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanical.

Autos are obviously mechanicals too, but they are referred to as automatics to differentiate them from the hand winders.
Then how come my Emporio Armani just says "Mechanico" on it and it does not even say Automatic and yet it is an Automatic and not a wind up watch ? What would be stamped on a wind up watch then ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hand Wind or manual wind

In my day, i.e. BQ (before quartz), we usually called them hand or manual wind. Other than that the manufacturers always put the word "Automatic" on the watch face to let you know what you had and why you had to pay so much for it.:grin:

·
Registered
507 Posts
They are commonly called manual wind watches. They don't have any markings to indicate this. Before automatics there was no need to state what it was because it could only be one thing - manual. Nearly all mechanical watches nowadays are automatics and commonly this is stated on the dial, however this is not a rule. Modern manual winds are generally in a higher price range than entry level automatics and tend to be more decorated in the movement department. Nothing identifies a modern manual - you just have to know, or try shaking it and seeing what happens.

In short: manual for hand winds, automatic for automatics.
Oh btw - I don't know why your watch is named the way it is.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are commonly called manual wind watches. They don't have any markings to indicate this. Before automatics there was no need to state what it was because it could only be one thing - manual. Nearly all mechanical watches nowadays are automatics and commonly this is stated on the dial, however this is not a rule. Modern manual winds are generally in a higher price range than entry level automatics and tend to be more decorated in the movement department. Nothing identifies a modern manual - you just have to know, or try shaking it and seeing what happens.

In short: manual for hand winds, automatic for automatics.
Oh btw - I don't know why your watch is named the way it is.
Maybe because Armani is Italian and "Mechanico" is Italian for automatic ? This is just my opinion .

·
Registered
822 Posts
No, 'meccanico' in Italian is 'mechanical' in English. As I understand it, 'Meccanico' is the name of a range of watches from Armani -- probably to distinguish it from their quartz models. The Italian for 'automatic' is 'automatico' (figures), but why Armani couldn't put this somewhere on their watches beats me.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
1. Auto wind = automatic winding mech.

2. Manual wind = not a auto winding mech.

3. Mechanico = posh clothes designer who doesn't know what the proper terms are for watch types was aloud to choose the words that went on his watch.

Simples!

·
Registered
404 Posts
1. Auto wind = automatic winding mech.

2. Manual wind = not a auto winding mech.

3. Mechanico = posh clothes designer who doesn't know what the proper terms are for watch types was aloud to choose the words that went on his watch.

Simples!
We have the answer!

Max

1 - 9 of 9 Posts