The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and I really appreciate all that I've been able to learn so far.

I've been a Seiko fan since all my uncles came back from military service throughout the 60s and 70s, and every one of these "men of action" that I looked up to, wore Seiko divers.

I own a few Seikos already, but the one I've wanted since I was 12 years old is the 1978 (+/-) 600m 7549 Pro diver. My local dive shop had one in their case for several years, because it was so expensive (for the time) and really, who needs a 600m watch? I would have given anything, but as a 12 year old, it was kinda out of my price range. Finally my dive instructor bought it, and well, that was it.

Fast forward a few years, and my wife bought me a 7548 Pepsi for our 1st wedding anniversary. It, and our marriage are now 34 years old, and both are still ticking along great.

Now that I'm in a place where I could (maybe??) afford the 7549, how can I find one? I'm not looking for a perfect display piece; I wear my watches like the tools they are. Scratches and bumps show character, that the watch (and the owner) have been places and done things.

Is it even remotely practical to find this watch? Or should I just grit my teeth, break the bank and buy the #$(@&#$ something like the SBBN042 or SBBN025 (and their predecessors) that have been haunting me on every trip I've made to Tokyo for the past 4 years?

(One of my daily drivers is a Seiko SBDN026 limited edition which I bought when I couldn't bring myself to drop $4K for the one I really wanted, that trip.)

I love watches, but I don't know if I could pay that much ($1600-$3000) for a new watch that isn't *the* watch, you know?

Anyway, thanks for reading this far, and helping out a total n00b.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Keep your eye on the SCWF Trading Post section. At the moment there are 2 Golden Tuna's posted for sale, you can even post a WTB (want to buy) and list what you are looking for. Be patient, they're out there and one will come along sooner or later.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-citizen-trading-post/

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Hello tep, I am a Tuna fan too and have several 300m ones and a Gold tuna reissue. Personally I would not buy a SBBN042 or SBBN025 due to the hands and would either keep my eyes peeled for a used 7549 Gold tuna, they are around, or maybe buy a new SBBN040 which is a 1000m limited reissue of the original 1978 gold Tuna and looks very similar. The SBBN040 is currantly about $2000 from Seiya Japan.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As mentioned, there are a couple of tunas for sale there. If you want something a bit modern, (sbbn017) I may know someone who have one. Not sure if he's sold it yet though.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Hold out for the 7549. Nothing else will scratch your nostalgia itch. You and your 12 year old self will only be happy with a 1978 model. There will always be the possibility that it's the exact piece you salivated over in the dive shop. Priceless!
Happy hunting.

Rob

·
Registered
665 Posts
In addition to monitoring the forum(s), you could reach out to someone like Spencer Kline. The things he has hidden away in his “projects” bin never cease to amaze me. I wouldn’t think he’d have a 600m 7549 but an email costs you nothing and the worst he can say is no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
The two on the forum are still available..

Heck, I'm tempted to buy the cheaper one, strip it all down and re-coat with gold titanium nitride and it would be good as new.

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know what you mean - it was the Tunas that sucked me into this rabbit hole. Have been wanting a Grandfather for an age, but never seemed to find the right one at the right time. This thread has got me umming and ahhhing about the 2 Golden Tunas up on the trading section. I need a better paid job...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Tunas a re great. I have a couple of 7549s - the titanium 7000 and stainless 7010. You won't regret it.
The prices you see on eBay are very optimistic - they kick around for months and months on end at these prices. Be patient and wait for an auction listing.
If you're willing to go deeper, get yourself a Buyee account and buy one from yahoo auctions in Japan - you'll get a much better price, but less protection and the fun of interpreting Japanese translated in English. I recently bought a really nice one there for the equivalent of $750US including all shipping, fees, and Australia's 10% tax on top.
Not enough pictures here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A nice pair there tritto, got me jealous.

I have bought a couple of pieces via Jauce in the past, and surprisingly everything was great. But I definitely know what you mean about trying to work out what the hell the machine translated descriptions are actually saying - but makes life interesting.

It maybe a psychological thing, but I'm more reluctant to splash the cash when it comes to the older watches via Japanese auctions, when it's probably much safer than a lot of the stuff on eBay.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The challenge with the 7000/9 in particular is that you have to go in through the front to change the battery. Often they're listed as "junk" because the seller can't put a fresh battery in them. This can be a positive because they sell cheaper, but potentially a negative because the old battery may have been in there for many years, increasing the chance of a battery leak. I took a punt that paid off with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Stay on it. You can get them for a decent price on YJ. Might take a bit of a chance but its worth it.
Mine was cheap, but was also in a sorry state- just the way I like them. Filthy but not abused. Lines were crisp and the shroud flawless.
August 78.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Stay on it. You can get them for a decent price on YJ. Might take a bit of a chance but its worth it.
Mine was cheap, but was also in a sorry state- just the way I like them. Filthy but not abused. Lines were crisp and the shroud flawless.
August 78.

Rob

Very tidy, did you clean it up yourself or send it out? It has come up beautifully.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Thanks, cleaned it up myself. This was the most complicated procedure I have ever attempted on a watch that was the most expensive of all my watches by far.
This helped a lot!

Rob

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
They're a real challenge to get inside without damaging anything.
Screws out of the shroud.
Shroud off
Something to hold the case secure while you loosen the crystal retaining bezel without slipping and scratching the crystal.
Then you have to lift the crystal from the crystal gasket (I found it easier to lift the crystal and gasket together).
Then you have to carefully lever up the chapter ring and remove the gasket around the dial.
Remove the crown and stem and then drop the dial, hands, movement carefully out without damaging the hands.
Then there's the battery clamp to remove, which is fiddly with the watch in a case on a regular 7548 etc, but even more so in this case...
Then you do it all in reverse and have to be super careful not to leave any specks on the dial or under the crystal and not to damage the threads on the crystal retaining ring.
The most challenging battery change I've ever done.
Since a long response needs a photo, here's the jig I made to hold mine while I loosened the crystal retaining ring.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Many thanks Rob and tritto for the info - I personally will be more likely to go out on a limb with a restoration job now.

Rob - did the Titanium Nitride need redoing, or was did it just come up gold after a bit of TLC?

Tritto - I'm loving that case vice!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Many thanks Rob and tritto for the info - I personally will be more likely to go out on a limb with a restoration job now.

Rob - did the Titanium Nitride need redoing, or was did it just come up gold after a bit of TLC?

Tritto - I'm loving that case vice!
The Titanium Nitrade was perfect. As was the shroud. I even kept the original crystal (just a couple of dings) it was just filthy and needed a battery.
Couple of pics of how it came to me.

Rob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts