The Watch Site banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
Nice one Russ, yours reminds me of my favorite gardening shoes, rough ish but cumfy to wear but I change out of them once the gardening is done :)

ps: I have water proof tested a couple with pitted rear sealing faces after replacing the gasket and they passed with flying colors.

Wonderful work for sure. I've debated giving Mr Crusty a relume but with a pitted gasket seat it will never be water resistant so I think I'd just be throwing good money after bad. I am still on the fence about buying a nicely restored vintage or perhaps spring for the latest iteration from Seiko. WARNING: these scene may be disturbing, parental guidance is advised ;)

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
I would hope the grungy ones do fetch more than the fakes but no where near how much a nice one will fetch (IMO).

When the fakes are so good and we can't tell them apart, and it won't be long, I'd not be surprised that mouldy lume originals fetch the most as they "must be all original". :)

·
Special Member
5,463 Posts
The watch looks absolutely fantastic, great job! But I wouldn't relume a nice dial just for the glow. It's not often you see these dials without the black rot, those I would leave be. In the case of that black rot being present though, I would relume it just to get rid of the rot so it doesnt spread and further damage the dial.

·
Special Member
4,297 Posts
Nice one Russ, yours reminds me of my favorite gardening shoes, rough ish but cumfy to wear but I change out of them once the gardening is done :)

ps: I have water proof tested a couple with pitted rear sealing faces after replacing the gasket and they passed with flying colors.
Thanks John, that's good to know. I like your analogy by the way ;)

·
Special Member
3,514 Posts
To Relume or Not Relume?

This is the Very 1st 6105 I ever bought (Over 10 Years Ago). Black Mold on the Hour Markers and Hands looked Terrible. Dial and Hands were relumed and I feel it saved the watch from further deterioration. Hard to Beat that New Lume Glow :)

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
I bought this 6105 off the TF nearly 10 years ago for $85 and I relumed it myself (no expert) after servicing it and it still glows like a torch at night :)

Reactions: 7s26b

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
10 years or so ago NOS 6105 second hands where all over the place price wise, I am pretty sure I paid $125 for this one at the time.

Reactions: DAHASCO

·
Special Member
2,243 Posts
wellllll, i say relume is a maybe. to me, lume "glowability" is not a function of vnitage dials that is a make or break it thing for me. in fact, i recently had a dial that needed a relume lumed such that it would not glow brightly at all as if it had the characteristics of original lume material.
To Relume or Not Relume?

This is the Very 1st 6105 I ever bought (Over 10 Years Ago). Black Mold on the Hour Markers and Hands looked Terrible. Dial and Hands were relumed and I feel it saved the watch from further deterioration. Hard to Beat that New Lume Glow :)

I like your watches a lot but your lume job on this particular watch the reason i DON'T like to relume unless 100% necessary as you said yours was....and why it is even more important to hire a guy who knows what he's doing to do it. if there is one thing i can't stand about a relume is that 9 out of 10 times the markers in there lumed appearance are misshapen (as yours appears in this last photo). by missshapen, i am referring to how all of the dial plots are not uniform in shape or size and how they appear too rounded (especially at 12, 9 and 6). if you're going to get that "new lume glow", make sure you get it done so that it looks like new lume glow instead of a relumed watch.

i didn't mean to attack your watch even though it might have read like that, but i wanted to present the other side of the pro relume coin (relume = dark side of the force!).

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
3,514 Posts
wellllll, i say relume is a maybe. to me, lume "glowability" is not a function of vnitage dials that is a make or break it thing for me. in fact, i recently had a dial that needed a relume lumed such that it would not glow brightly at all as if it had the characteristics of original lume material.

I like your watches a lot but your lume job on this particular watch the reason i DON'T like to relume unless 100% necessary as you said yours was....and why it is even more important to hire a guy who knows what he's doing to do it. if there is one thing i can't stand about a relume is that 9 out of 10 times the markers in there lumed appearance are misshapen (as yours appears in this last photo). by missshapen, i am referring to how all of the dial plots are not uniform in shape or size and how they appear too rounded (especially at 12, 9 and 6). if you're going to get that "new lume glow", make sure you get it done so that it looks like new lume glow instead of a relumed watch.

i didn't mean to attack your watch even though it might have read like that, but i wanted to present the other side of the pro relume coin (relume = dark side of the force!).

<* shark >>><
Not Original and Imperfect Relume vs Black Mold Deterioration?

In a Perfect World I suppose that the best way to resolve the dilemma is to buy NOS or Near NOS 6105's with all original, untouched, flat, granular, perfect snowy white Lume without a single spec of black mold ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
So what to do with this one? Pretty crusty and the date wheel has rubbed off from 3-9. Almost feel like I should just scuff up the new strap and let it ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So what to do with this one? Pretty crusty and the date wheel has rubbed off from 3-9. Almost feel like I should just scuff up the new strap and let it ride. View attachment 450794
Me? I’d make sure there wasn’t a bigger issue inside (why the numbers rubbed off) change the day wheel while it’s apart. Change the seals and let it ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Me? I’d make sure there wasn’t a bigger issue inside (why the numbers rubbed off) change the day wheel while it’s apart. Change the seals and let it ride.
Inside is clean and serviced recently. The rubbed off date was not disclosed in the selling, but that's the way the Willard crumbles.
Not sure I can find/trust a relume job locally. Sending off to one of you experts may be more risk/cost in shipping and whatnot to justify it. I had to "give" it to the wife; I've only worn it a day or two since it arrived!
Who needs 3-9 anyway? My birthday is the 2nd, payday is the 20th, and every day is Earth Day.

Reactions: GuyJ and Jayv007
21 - 40 of 50 Posts