The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Poet Laureate
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know that everyone on this forum agrees that brightly glowing lume is the most important part of a watch (and original bracelets are overrated). I mean we buy Seikos because the lume is almost as bright as Rolex lume, and we can't afford Rolexes, right? Most of us ditch our original dials and replace them with aftermarket dials, since the lume is brighter, but what if I told you you could save money on dials, by just having the original relumed? Check this out!

Here's the watch as it was when I purchased it:

Here it is after James pulled the movement

Well I got it back, and check the lume now!

And if that doesn't convince you, here's the indisputable proof that you should always relume without exception

As you can see, James absolutely crushed it on this one. Thanks James! I feel bad that all those fake dial factories are going to suffer when this knowledge gets out, but better is better. No room for equivocating here. Now keep this hush hush so those muffin heads on the Citizen forum don't find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Each to their own, but I disagree with your heading.

Before I go on, I totally agree it's a great lume job. Your watch looks smashing.

But here is some advice to others thinking of going down this path...

Now that I have worked on a number of 6105 dial and hand sets its entirely likely I would not have relumed the entire watch. First point is that original dial lume could potentially have been saved. Sure it looks rubbish around the edges with that thick black crud, but atleast 50% of the time this sits on top of the chrome plating. It's delicate work, but with sharpened pegwood and a delicate hand and balls of steel that crud can be removed leaving you with the original chrome that is easily buffed to its original finish and the original lume. You also are left with an original +$400 dial instead of a +$200 relumed dial.

The crud on the hands can also be removed successfully alot of the time. That said the lume on your hand set did need replacing, but I would have matched it to the original dial lume.

Finally the chrome on you refinished dial and hands looks excellent, and if it was not re chromed, then that black crud was picked off as I suggested it could be.

Anyway my 2 cents on this one.

Your watch looks great, the 6105 is one of my faves. Here are a couple of mine...

http://instagr.am/p/CAjYqP2H6yw/
http://instagr.am/p/B8k1jHyg7Oi/

·
Craftsman
7,658 Posts
Would agree with that for the most part, Dan. I've been sent a few images of potential work and a lot of the time it isn't necessary so advises against it. But sometimes it really can make a huge difference if done right.

"Always" doing it, I don't agree. But at the end of the day it is indeed down to what someone wants and eventually we leave this world without any of this stuff!:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very nice lume job! Really glad you are happy, I know the feeling and I believe everyone will agree that's what makes this hobby so worth it at the end of the day.
That said, I think your statement that we buy Seikos because we can't afford Rolex could feel like a punch in the teeth for many Seiko enthusiasts here. Most of us buy Seiko because they are amazing vintage pieces with great history, design and soul and that has nothing to do with any other brand. 🍻

·
Administrator
33,563 Posts
I would rather have a dial relumed that has basically just rotted away but obviously if possible I prefer the original lume if it still looks good because for me what I wear on my wrist has to look good to me, I want to please me first and foremost :)

For me the dial is everything, quality patina ? yes please but corroded rot, no thanks.

I think in the world we live these days jokes do have to be stated as jokes :)

It's a joke 😉

·
Ultimate Collector
3,328 Posts
I'm with you John, patina is one thing, but mould is another. I don't want vegetables or any other wildlife living in the lume of my watches..

·
Special Member
3,068 Posts
That’s it, I’m selling all of my Seikosis stock right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
That's a stunning watch, love the transformation/resurrection.
I'd also have to say, Rolex lume is actually made by the exact same manufacturers as Seiko's and Citizen's lume.
It's all made by Nemoto, Swiss fans will likely say it's not, but Luminova AG is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nemoto.
Nemoto don't just make the lume, they also have dial handling facilities, where they also apply the lume.

·
Special Member
4,190 Posts
Wonderful work for sure. I've debated giving Mr Crusty a relume but with a pitted gasket seat it will never be water resistant so I think I'd just be throwing good money after bad. I am still on the fence about buying a nicely restored vintage or perhaps spring for the latest iteration from Seiko. WARNING: these scene may be disturbing, parental guidance is advised ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts