The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the Citizen and a few companies are def. pushing the solar powered ones more often now.

Did a lot of buyers get tired of battery changes and pressure tests I'd assume?

I still think a 5-10 year battery quartz has its place and some of the older divers seen on this forum had some pretty nice hands/dials that never showed up on the automatics.

Automatic is def. making a comeback!

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
Because companies are pushing their "green" credentials - which in the present...erm..climate, is good marketing.
Automatic isn't making a comeback, it never went away in the first place.

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
automatic watches were not that popular in the 80s-90s??
If they weren't that popular , then why did they(Seiko/Citizen etc) continue to produce millions of them??.
And if they weren't popular- why are we all buying so many secondhand 80s/90s automatics now??

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Usually Seiko stock parts for around 8 years so a model will be around that long. Casio and Citizen specialized in solar watches long before Seiko. Or rather, Seiko chose NOT to continue an extensive solar or radio wave watch for many years thought they did make a few solar watches years ago. As one poster said, going 'green' has been a sales gimmick for many companies. Seiko chose to market their own solar line now, and they also targeted N. America with lowered prices.
In the 1980s Seiko started making quartz watches and the company practically decimated the European Swiss market. But now batteries are not seen as green disposable, so Seiko is trying to be a good corporate citizen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also I wonder if Seiko's continued expansion into solar quartz isn't partly due to their kinetic technology not being quite as popular as they had hoped. Though they haven't quite given up on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's a good thought. It doesn't seem to nearly be as big as Eco-Drive is. Eco-Drive I have to say has been pretty good for me. I do wish there was thermal compensation on them (we're in 2014) after all and these companies didn't seem to find a cheap way to implement that yet. Atomic clock is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Yeah, that's a good thought. It doesn't seem to nearly be as big as Eco-Drive is. Eco-Drive I have to say has been pretty good for me. I do wish there was thermal compensation on them (we're in 2014) after all and these companies didn't seem to find a cheap way to implement that yet. Atomic clock is a nice bonus.
I think going solar for Seiko basic watches was a cost/propaganda decision to raise the US market. In the past Seiko had stupid targeting/selling ideas for the N American market. What I had read was Seiko required stores to buy their Seiko stock; whereas Citizen let the stores buy on spec, not tying up inventory. Now, Seiko lowered prices on all their solar watches sold in the USA.

Kinetic movements are still used in their high end line! As for thermal compensation, likely an added cost.
In 1988 Omega installed their 1441 dual compensation module in a very few models - Polaris line and prebond Seamasters. Here is my prebond with the dual compensation: (the 2 silver bars )

1441 movement good by blingmeister, on Flickr
montage Champagne prebond albertville sunset by blingmeister, on Flickr

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's a sweet watch, I just am amazed they never found a cheaper way.
There might be some concern that a widely available and more affordable TC quartz would affect sales of the basic GS quartz models? They do however use a dateless TC quartz (8j41) in a few Dolce models.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
That's a sweet watch, I just am amazed they never found a cheaper way.
I guess once a figure is established, unless there are too many complaints, the accepted +-10-15secs/day for autos and 15-20secs/month for quartz is the norm.
For instance, the Monsters are rated at 15sec/day but we all know they can be regulated to achieve ...say 5secs/day accuracy.
If you have ever gone to the WUS high accuracy watches forum, they are quite anal about time and achieving the best possible accuracy! :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts