The Watch Site banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never seen so few females on any forums I visit. Even the Corvette forum has a female member post now and then. On this forum few females post. I ask why?:confused:

·
Poet Laureate
843 Posts
I'm sure if there's a shoe forum that's where you will find them all.
This is blatant sexism. It's not funny, it's pathetic and discriminatory. Grow up you loser.
People of any gender should feel comfortable participating in this forum and that means not having to read insulting drivel like this. Mods can we ban him for this?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
This is blatant sexism. It's not funny, it's pathetic and discriminatory. Grow up you loser.
People of any gender should feel comfortable participating in this forum and that means not having to read insulting drivel like this. Mods can we ban him for this?

I'm assuming you're kidding and this is sarcasm.

I'm biting my lip on my real reply until I know for sure.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Lets not throw the toys out of the pram just yet, throwing insults back, doesn't help your case.
Education and dialog is the key, so quietly explain your issues and that you're upset about comments.
Then we can move forward and learn to be more empathetic towards others.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts

Lighten up, Francis.

·
Poet Laureate
843 Posts
No I'm not kidding, David. You're a loser. You too Dazzler.

How would you feel if you were a female getting into watch collecting and you read this? Would you laugh it off? Take it as a little joke? Or would you decide you were in the wrong hobby and give it up. Think back to a time when you wanted to be part of something and were laughed at and ridiculed. How did you feel?
The Japanese watch collecting community lives online. It's a couple forums, and there's nowhere else to go if this is what you want to get into. If the members can't act with dignity and respect for all people then the people at the butt end of your jokes have no community left in which they feel safe to participate.
I know you think your shoe joke is just one small innocuous quib, but it doesn't feel that way to those who are looking for a community to take part in and then find themselves being mocked that way.

·
Poet Laureate
843 Posts
This really should be in the OT section and remember please keep it civil.
Can I ask what it brings to the community having a separate section of the forum where we don't enforce the same rules of decorum and respect? It's a liability to the hobby. There are plenty of places online where purile men can act like boys. We don't need to give them another and let it devolve into a place that chases people away from the hobby we love.

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Can I ask what it brings to the community having a separate section of the forum where we don't enforce the same rules of decorum and respect? It's a liability to the hobby. There are plenty of places online where purile men can act like boys. We don't need to give them another and let it devolve into a place that chases people away from the hobby we love.
Which ever part of the forum we post in we should do so in a respectable manner to others and the SCWF rules are the same where ever you post in the forum.

The off topic section is the off topic section whereas the section this was originally posted in was THE JAPANESE WATCH DISCUSSION FORUM thats the only reason I moved the discussion.

·
Poet Laureate
843 Posts
Which ever part of the forum we post in we should do so in a respectable manner to others and the SCWF rules are the same where ever you post in the forum.

The off topic section is the off topic section whereas the section this was originally posted in was THE JAPANESE WATCH DISCUSSION FORUM thats the only reason I moved the discussion.
Got it. I misunderstood your intent. Thank you

·
Special Member
1,349 Posts
For what it's worth bradurani, we have had some members who have proudly stated their gender and from what I've seen in the threads, most every member here treated female members with respect.

As I read through this thread, I did see a stereotype implied, but these kinds of generalizations do have a point of origin.

Was it necessary to say? Probably not. Did it really hurt anyone? Unknown, but it was expressed as an opinion.

So what we have to ask ourselves is whether it's appropriate to respond in anger when someone states an opinion that wasn't meant to be taken so seriously.

I know that I've posted things that I've later regretted as I may have offended another member...most probably including this response, but these are just opinions here, so no harm intended to any who read them.

Hopefully, this thread won't drive females from the hobby as bradurani suggests.. I for one would like to see more representation by females here on the forum.

Best,

Mike

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.