The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that most Seiko fans refer to the family of movements (such as 5200, 5600) as "streams". Where did this nomenclature come from? I've never heard it in other watch brands?

Could it be a translation of the Japanese term? Is it a watch term that I just haven't heard associated with other brands? Or is it something someone just made up and it stuck?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Because one movements design flows into the others. It is not an uncommon nomenclature to describe progressive transitions.

That said however, I have never heard the term used in relation to watch movements.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
never heard the term either........

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
It has been used on the SCWF for longer than I've been here, here's an example from "Ryan" going back almost 13 years:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1012893545/

There is a poetic sound to the term, and given Seiko's caliber development progression and method of building from a base caliber to several related "distributaries" it seems fitting. I haven't heard it used in relation to other brands, so I've always associated it with Seiko only. It seems that "Ryan" (not sure if he still is a member) had access to Japanese translations, so perhaps he picked this up from a Japanese source.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Thanks Noah, I am duly educated by you as usual. I have been into watches for 35 years (I know other have been longer) and on the SCWF for four/five and had not heard the term used befor.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've heard this used as a manufacturing term, to refer different production lines in the factory. Each line is capable of assembling a number of different versions of a particular base type product. When production engineers discuss a new version they might talk about adapting the stream to accommodate the new sequence of steps required to assemble the product.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts