The Watch Site banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That's definitely the goal. I actually have one locked in right now, but the country's shipping isn't open yet. So, I'm bothering the seller every week. lol.
Japan? Postal service is a worldwide hassle right now. Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indonesia.

Luckily, I've still been able to order stuff in Japan via DHL.

BTW, do you know what the bracelet code is for this model? And were there any variations or did they all come on the same strap?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My last Package from Japan went via DHL Express - it was a pita to get it through customs. Took nearly two weeks...
The strap is the same on all three models. Another thing is that you can’t shorten the bracelet. It is made with solid links without any removing option. The only possibility to „adjust“ the size is the spring activated extender between the clasp and bracelet.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got mine yesterday. Unfortunate surprise was that its running a bit slow. An issue that i have noticed happens a lot with 5216's, what's up with that?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would say the watches are in need of a service.
Most vintage watches can do with a service after 40 years. But i bought 3 5216's and all 3 are running a bit slow. Which is a much worse track record than any other movement i have had.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I had six LMs Special of the ones we are talking about here, and about the same number of other 5216 Specials. Some of them went fast, some went slow, some were going ok. I don't think this is a movement thing. I can say that those that were serviced (not all but most of them, somewhere you just have to draw a line) were doing great and kept time very good.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
It is simply a large demand, and people with money to burn coming from other hobbies, or other watch brands.

Aside from that what I think is happening more and more is that the sellers on Yahoo take advantage of bidders by using the auto extension. I've seen a few items relisted where I'm guessing the shilling went too far and the sale didn't go through. But many others times I think this is what pushes people to spend more than they would, whatever Seiko we are talking about. The world is now watching Yahoo and three are plenty of people who hate to see a bargain go so they add 3rd or 4th ones to their collections to then flip for twice the price elsewhere, especially on IG this happens. Prices are being doubled quite easily and people will pay the money more readily now.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am talking about the 5216-8020 specifically not yahoo in general. Because other 5216 (or other LM) models are still much cheaper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have two for sale over on WUS, and haven't had much success TBH. One was sold, but another languashes. Who knows? maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've kinda stopped try to sell anything while the pandemic has been raging.

Edited to add: That's not me trying to sell them here. If this post breaks any rules, mods please delete.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes they are not as sought after on the international market as they are on yahoo auctions relatively speaking. I mean they are still a cool watch that a lot of people will like, but they wont sell for more than twice as much as other LM specials.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A new high, almost 30.000 yen for a blue example. It has a bracelet and is the more rare blue variant. But the condition is not perfect, is not even confirmed working well, and the crown is crooked. For that money you can probably find a nice King Seiko, possibly even on bracelet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A new high, almost 30.000 yen for a blue example. It has a bracelet and is the more rare blue variant. But the condition is not perfect, is not even confirmed working well, and the crown is crooked. For that money you can probably find a nice King Seiko, possibly even on bracelet.

I can't freakin' believe I missed that listing. I probably would've pulled the trigger.

I have enough copies of the brown and tan (plan to keep one of each, selling the rest), but no blue dial, and no original bracelet.

I check a bunch of sites pretty frequently, but just so happened to be moving the past few days, and this slides by. Darn it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts