The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering this for a while now since i have been following them on Yahoo auctions. Why is this refference so god damn expensive? It litterally sells for twice as much as most other LM's and 5216's do. I have seen a head only example is decent condition (not even mint) sell for as much as 20.000 yen. You'll find litterally dozens of other LM references in condition sell for half of that even with bracelet. Even every mediocre one without bracelet sells for good money. Its not even a rare model and the most comon 5216 i'd say.

I do like the look of the watch quite a lot and the bracelet is cool. But i have a hard time paying King Seiko money for a LM. But why do other people bid so much on these models?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It didn’t used to. Even the rarer brown ones were pretty reasonable.

The price has been driven up for a few reasons:
  • It looks a lot like a 6145-8000 which are now silly expensive.
  • The 5216 is an excellent movement.
  • two_vintage_seikos on Instagram sold a bunch of them creating a lot of enthusiasm and bidding wars. The people who missed out turned to YJ I guess.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • It looks a lot like a 6145-8000 which are now silly expensive.
So far i have no luck selling my 5626-7100 is excelent condition :confused:

• The 5216 is an excellent movement.
That is true but so are the other 5216's which fetch a lot less money. It seems to be this particular variant that sells for a lot more than the rest (except for the silverwave models).

twovintageseikos on Instagram sold a bunch of them creating a lot of enthusiasm and bidding wars. The people who missed out turned to YJ I guess.
That is an interesting insight. Or it is the guy himself who is bidding on everyone he sees and therefor driving up the prices. I think compared to the IG prices the 5216-8020 on yahoo can still be considered cheap 😂😂

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It’s because these are the most awesome ones. Especially on their original bracelet. If you hold a nice example in your hands you do understand...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a 5626-7100 in excellent condition, you may not be that excited when you receive a 5216-8020
If only it had a different color dial... And i have plenty of King Seiko in the collection but no Lord Matic. It may not make much sense but i've been looking to add a 5216-8020 to the collection

It’s because these are the most awesome ones. Especially on their original bracelet. If you hold a nice example in your hands you do understand...
They are nice and i like the model. Bracelets are great too and solid link i believe, but ones without it fetch a high price too. Personal taste only doesnt justify it selling for twice as much as other 5216's. For example a 7080 is a cool watch as well and there are many more nice models.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I had one of the 7060 too, including the original bracelet. Cool thing with the mountain peak on the lug and also endlinks. Still no comparison to the 8020. Dial, bracelet all a bit more „special“.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems that in the international market the 8020 isnt priced double of the rest of the 5216's en LM's. It seems to be mostly a yahoo auctions thing, thats also very surprising to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been wondering this for a while now since i have been following them on Yahoo auctions. Why is this refference so god damn expensive? It litterally sells for twice as much as most other LM's and 5216's do. I have seen a head only example is decent condition (not even mint) sell for as much as 20.000 yen. You'll find litterally dozens of other LM references in condition sell for half of that even with bracelet. Even every mediocre one without bracelet sells for good money. Its not even a rare model and the most comon 5216 i'd say.

I do like the look of the watch quite a lot and the bracelet is cool. But i have a hard time paying King Seiko money for a LM. But why do other people bid so much on these models?
Probably because of the Grammar of Design case and the linen dial?

Heck even the 7019/7039/7005/7006 are crazy expensive compared to my acquisitions a year or so ago.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I bought my 5216-6020 used 15 years ago for $80 here in Japan. Still got it...lovely faceted, two toned version LM 25j....
Japan's current used prices are insane! Only the used G Shocks are prices half reasonably. What used shops do is look on the Japan internet for going prices and then they tag on this price to used watches which are brought in to their stores. Sometimes you can find great low prices on vintage Seikos if you know what to look for. For instance I bought a great 7546 beater for $40, 7548 for $190....
dial closeup by toypoodleKimi, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im not talking about the market is general but these very specific models. Compared to other models they are a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what i mean. Why on earth did this listing end at over 18.000 yen. Its a bad listing with some junk thrown in, pictures not clear. Okay, its the more rare blue variant but its confirmed not working and head-only. Who would pay that kind of money for it when i bought a decent condition working 5216 on steel bracelet for almost half.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another example. Very bad pics that make it almost impossible to properly judge the watch. And then a head only example goes for 22000 yen? Why?!?! :unsure:

·
Registered
35 Posts
To add a n00b's perspective to this discussion: not knowing much about vintage Seiko, I absolutely fell in love the first time I saw the tan one a few weeks ago, and I've been chasing them ever since. Early into my hunt, I was teased when I missed a recent sale. That fueled the fire, and I've literally been refreshing listings every few hours when I'm on the computer (which is a lot, lol).

Kinda sucks to come across this thread, but it definitely verified my suspicions. I was comparing recent listings to those not too long ago, and the price is very different. I also paid a comparably high-price for a brown-dial.

Has anyone seen the blue one? :love: Trifecta goals.

edit: I just realized one of your listings has the blue one in it. I dunno... I just gravitated towards these, for some reason.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kinda sucks to come across this thread, but it definitely verified my suspicions. I was comparing recent listings to those not too long ago, and the price is very different. I also paid a comparably high-price for a brown-dial.
What is not too long ago? I have been folowing them for maybe like half a year to a year and they have always been high in that period. You are in the lucky position to live in the USA and not having to pay import duties which makes the price not too bad.

I would understand a very high price if the condition was also great and complete with bracelet. But what really surprises me is that people pony up that kind of money on listings with bad pics for head-only exampels in medium/used condition

The same high prices seem to apply to the 524x line of seiko chronometers too. Its really strange to see those discrepancies between the Japanse market and the normal international market.

To add a n00b's perspective to this discussion: not knowing much about vintage Seiko, I absolutely fell in love the first time I saw the tan one a few weeks ago, and I've been chasing them ever since. Early into my hunt, I was teased when I missed a recent sale. That fueled the fire, and I've literally been refreshing listings every few hours when I'm on the computer (which is a lot, lol).
I have bought a different LM special with a brown dial. Was a lot easier on my wallet :) I am going to hold out until i see a really nice on with the bracelet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is not too long ago?
A couple of the listings I've come across recently are about 75% more than the one I missed out on and a few others on Reddit. Luckily, after I replied to this thread, I got my hands on two of these for REALLY good prices. Hopefully the sales follow through.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hate to fuel the fire, but I'm probably one of the reasons the prices on these have gone up. I still have 2 more on the way; no sign of a blue one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why do you need more than 1 example of the same model of watch? I just want one example...
I plan on keeping the best example of each color. The others I'd like to eventually restore and put back out on the market. I don't plan on hoarding them :).

Being new into vintage, it's pretty neat to see the different levels of polishing when comparing all of these cases.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts