The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that some miyota 8215's have run within COSC but when you think about it, the 9015 and 2824-2 are more accurate? So why shouldn't these companies upgrade movements to match the 2824-2 specs?

·
Special Member
8,032 Posts
To be clear, bph and accuracy are independent of each other.

Many a 21,600 bph watch has been certified to COSC. I have a Seiko Lord Marvel at 36,000 bph that has nice accuracy but not within COSC on the wrist (god that sweep is gorgeous, though).

21,600 bph (6 beats per second, 3 Hz) is a nice, stable beat rate.

Enjoy the time piece and don't get all caught up in bph.

Let me add: Aside from some crappy Chinese DZ movements, it is true that watchmakers who design to 28.8 kpbh make a better movement. That said it's more of a mind set to make a good movement than get hung on the beat rate per se.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Phew! Though I was a bit odd getting hung up on the sweep hands smoothness, glad not to be the only one, just bought an Oceanaut Seven Seas with an ETA 2824 movement.
Big watches with long second hands show up the lesser frequencies more.
It's still a virgin watch and bagged it for a song, and as it weights a arm stretching 260gms(8oz if your really old)! I can cancel the gym membership.......!!!!

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Many people bandy about stories of this movement and that movement meeting COSC specs - the truth is they don't!!. Just because they can achieve one or two of the requirements, does not mean they can pass all of them.
If a watch meets the minimum rating of 100m for a divers watch - does that mean it passes ISO6425?? NO - it doesn't.
If a car has good tyres but belches out black smoke, will it pass the MOT/roadworthiness test? -No.

·
Special Member
8,032 Posts
Phew! Though I was a bit odd getting hung up on the sweep hands smoothness, glad not to be the only one, just bought an Oceanaut Seven Seas with an ETA 2824 movement.
Big watches with long second hands show up the lesser frequencies more.
It's still a virgin watch and bagged it for a song, and as it weights a arm stretching 260gms(8oz if your really old)! I can cancel the gym membership.......!!!!
I ended up flipping by Bulova Precisionist ("Continuous sweep second hand, under the loupe the 16 steps per second can be seen easily) because it weighed something like 235 grams and after a long day it just got tiresome.

Boy did I love watching that red sweep second move like fluid.

·
Registered
480 Posts
21600 isn't so bad. . .
Well darn I don't have enough posts for the link. Check YouTube for "Antoine Martin Slow Runner". (Isn't quite as much fun if you can't just click it.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The precisionist running like it does gives you only a three year battery life, they need a lithium for it to get my money. I read that Patek's are low beat but they use premium metals for hand assembly. I've read some miyota run at COSC. Do the lower beat movements last longer?

·
Registered
115 Posts
It does depend on the movement and the accuracy...I have had 21,600 watches that are extremely accurate while more jeweled wathes that wouldn't run or hold the timing accurately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.