The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2 Seiko 5Y22A's recently and both have flickered and died. What I mean is the movement tries to move once when putting the battery in, then nothing. Both were cleaned. Coil within spec. Battery good. Maybe the circuit board is not giving the coil enough power? Strange!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Train is good with no battery in but when I put a battery in it pulses once and locks up.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Is the pulse output still working?, or just the rotor stopping?
You can test with a compass, or a tiny coil/inductor connected to a DVM?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the pulse output still working?, or just the rotor stopping?
You can test with a compass, or a tiny coil/inductor connected to a DVM?
Tried with a compass and didn't see any movement and also tried with a magnetised needle/pin and saw no movement......maybe its just my incompetence!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have that happen quite often, normally on a movement that someone, at some point, decided to oil. If you partially disassemble the drive train, normally the gear from rotor to wheel, you will more than likely find oil buildup, not exactly the Valdez, but it doesn't take much, especially if it has set for years, for the gears to just semi-glue themselves into place. You can still rotate the assembly, but there is a hell of a difference between your pushing a gear, and a tiny rotor pushing it. I've used the Horotec turbo to get movements rotating, but it's kind of like hooking a Pratt and Whitney starter motor to a Honda 50. You could also have a loose solder joint INSIDE the crystal, if it is pulsing erratically. It it's pulsing erotically, well, that's an entirely different scenario. Aloha from #50

1 - 7 of 7 Posts