The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its Summer here and people are taking their watches in the water so more are more likely to leak but I had the depressing news that a 4205 I did for (did him a 6309-7040 too) a guy a couple of years ago has leaked.

Three days ago another guy (did a 4205 and a 6309 for him) I did a 7002 for that was a Christmas present for his son n law has leaked.
I'll re do it under guarantee.

I've spent hours on each one and had water pressure tested them properly and now I'll have to do that again and ruin good watch movements to get them going again :38:

This sort of thing doesn't happen very often to me but when it does its like an emotional punch in the stomach:( even compared with all the good jobs I've done.

·
Special Member
7,479 Posts
You are a good man to offer and honor water resistance. A lot of guys would say something like "maybe you banged it hard before swimming my warranty only covers water intrusion for a week" or other such weasel behaviors.

It's all a numbers game, fix 100 and 2 will fail, or whatever the right odds really are.

This should make even more people want to pay for your services as they know you have integrity !

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Bad news always comes in threes. I can relate in a different way but similar. In the 19990 I ran a huge Jeep parts department. Very fast paced 6 counter people and 4 drivers all in my ear all day long while I was doing the same job they were. I could go months without ever making a mistake like looking up a wrong part number or sending a left instead of a right handed part but every one in a while I would have a day when I would get return phone calls from customers telling me I go the wrong parts. Typically 3 or even 4 in one day and then that would be it for months again. I have no idea why they would all happen at once but it did every once in a while I would have the most annoying day in months! It happens fix it and move on. No one is perfect.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have learned it hurts so much because you care so much.

You're spot on

I feel duty bound to myself, my customers and my trade to do a good job every time and so it hurts when I do my best and things still come back to haunt me :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are few and far of you guys left in the watch industry. We have one here in the states - my man in North Carolina! I would never consider sending my watches elsewhere. Good on ya for standing behind your work!

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Sir,
It is not a bother, but a .... " Driving Force " to be a better individual that many can not " Obtain or Contain ".
You absolutely must ..." UP HOLD YOUR INTEGRITY ", no matter what or who.
" Integrity is a Root to a very Successful Future " and once established it must continue on.
Everything you build on has to come from this area and maintain it's establishment.
A " Individual " that has got this going for themselves will prosper much in many areas.
Your ... " Promise's ", will come up attached to your .... "Integrity as built on a solid Foundation ",
and will become ...." The Fruit of your Life, Future and Business ". Integrity is not a " Attitude " or " Proudness ",
but a situated position that a lot of times can not be touched when it is done and it does manifest much results Sir.
To many think they have Integrity, but eventually find out they just had to much .... " Pride " , and it just did not work.
Pride is a must, and you must have Pride in everything you do, but to a certain limit then it becomes a " Destruction ".
Aloha ..... Louis / LongBike

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sir,
It is not a bother, but a .... " Driving Force " to be a better individual that many can not " Obtain or contain ".
You absolutely must ..." UP HOLD YOUR INTEGRITY ", no matter what or who.
" Integrity is a Root to a very Successful Future " and once established it must continue on.
Everything you build one has to come from this area and maintain it's establishment.
A " Individual " that has got this going for themselves will prosper much in many areas.
Your ... " Promise's ", will come up attached to your .... "Integrity as built on a solid Foundation ",
and will become ...." The Fruit of your Life, Future and Business ". Integrity is not a " Attitude " or " Proudness ",
but a situated position that a lot of times can not be touched when it is done and it does manifest much results Sir.
To many think they have Integrity, but eventually find out they just had to much .... " Pride " , and it just did not work.
Pride is a must, and you must have Pride in everything you do, but to a certain limit then it becomes a " Destruction ".
Aloha ..... Louis / LongBike

Thankyou Louis:)

I contrast the way I work (at times pedantically) with the way some trade people (and professionals / academics too) and I find some of them really slack - yet they still charge a lot and get paid for it :eek:

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Thankyou Louis:)

I contrast the way I work (at times pedantically) with the way some trade people (and professionals / academics too) and I find some of them really slack - yet they still charge a lot and get paid for it :eek:
Sir,
" The CON ", has already learned how to be a very good and potential .... " Artist " also.
Painting their way with the ..... " Looks of Originality " stolen from others that have profited from it already.
Many are still lurking around and still looking for a .... " Profitable Stake ", in many a thing someone else
has profected and they see it yet to be had through their ......" Cunning Ways and Devices ".
We are ....." Reading It, Hearing It and Seeing It ", in our everyday all over the world.

It is in their .... Mindset ", that they think they are the best and are ..... " Legends In Their Own Time ".
The only place that they are .... " Legends are ... " In Their own Minds and in their Own Environments ".

Just listen to how they ... " Talk and Act " , in Discussions, Work with and Toward Others and their Threats ",
when doing things and in many other ways.
Catch them in their Physical and they put their tails between their leg's.

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
I wouldn't guarantee water resistance once the watch has left the workshop, I don't know anyone that does (apart from you) or even how anyone can? If people want watches re-sealing and testing that's exactly what I do, re-seal them and test them then I provide photographic evidence of the test being conducted. I state the watch has passed a pressure test on that particular date, I make no claims as to how long it will remain water resistant as once the watch is back in the hands of the owner you don't know what happens to it or how it's treated. I wouldn't know if someone else has had the caseback off and refitted the seal incorrectly or whether a screw down crown wasn't screwed down with the watch submeged or even if it's had a hard life and taken some knocks. I even state on my invoices that even though it's passed a pressure test water resistance on vintage watches can't be guaranteed. Not that I've ever reports of one failing mind you....yet!

The chance you take if you're offering a guarantee is that any unscrupulous customer (and I'm not for a minute suggesting your particular customers are) could get a free service and reseal every couple of years by purposly flooding the watch

·
Administrator
33,229 Posts
I agree with you Duncan, I have tested a few for friends but i always say that even though they have passed the test I don't for one min guarantee them as being water proof once they have left me.

My brother in law has had his own watch repair business for the last 40 years or so and the one subject that makes him break out in a sweat is "water proofing", he always tells his customers now (he dident used too) that even though tested he does not guarantee water proof, if the customer wants a guarantee then he politely asks them to go else where :)

I was talking to a Rolex Sub owner last year who had just been on holiday wearing his new to him sub who changed the date on his watch and forgot to screw the crown in and then went swimming, flooded the watch and was SHOCKED how much it was going to cost him to have the watch repaired, last time i saw him the watch was still not repaired and i imagine suffering even more as nothing had been done to it :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
...and was SHOCKED how much it was going to cost him to have the watch repaired, last time i saw him the watch was still not repaired and i imagine suffering even more as nothing had been done to it :(
THis reminds of a guy who once said to me:

"If you can't afford a brand new European car, you definitely can't afford a second hand one".

I think this applies to watches too - especially the big Swiss brands. The way they starting to charge for repairs, you need to be prepared to spend the same amount as the purchase price on the watch should anything ever happen to it.
Slightly off topic, but interesting. As you were...

·
Administrator
33,229 Posts

"If you can't afford a brand new European car, you definitely can't afford a second hand one".

I think this applies to watches too - especially the big Swiss brands. The way they starting to charge for repairs, you need to be prepared to spend the same amount as the purchase price on the watch should anything ever happen to it.
Slightly off topic again but before i retired a good customer of mine invited me to his house to show me is brand new Bentley, he even let me sit in it :) while talking i asked him how much a service would be and he said the same, "If you have to ask that you can't afford one" :) goes without saying I can't afford one :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

I have heard the same said in many different words but the lesson is the same and it is good advice..

I say that as the owner of a 2005 BMX 330xi convertible with a special order performance package. (a little known option back then) The car cost only 4 grand less than the full out M3 but the insurance is way less. After ten years only one part only the entire car has failed. The high pressure power steering hose. We also just added to the stable a 2013 Volvo X70 and just in time as it has snowed at least twice a week for the last six weeks here!
I do look at the BMW and I know that car is going to bite me right in the wallet one of these days but I love it way to much. I bought it brand new and it still only has 30K on it and it have never been left outside in ten years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts