The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Citizen makes some great watches, but they always discontinue them. The company has really no standard for keeping classic models in production and this pisses me off about them.

They discontinued the Ray Mears series, a mistake. Discontinued the super toughs...a mistake, discontinued the titanium Eco Zilla, NY series...huge mistake.

I am only willing to buy the BN0000-04H now from them because at least they have kept it around and it's said it's not meant to be opened so it's a great throw away diver then. I'll try to see if they'll service mine in the late future.

It's frustrating and I wish they'd take the successful sales model from Rolex and the others who don't get rid of their models all the time that people like. The Eco Zilla was a big seller.

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Seiko has also discontinued some popular models. The 6M25, 6M26 watches come to mind.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
I have to agree...

... you would hope that some companies would stick with excellent case/dial/bracelet designs and base the changes on improvements to the mechanism. :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Rolex has barely changed anything in 50 years apart from manufacturing materials.
You have to remember that although we are WUS and care about the watches we own, most people (who make up the bulk of the profits for these companies) don't. The watch is something they wear and throw away after 10 years. Most neither know nor care about the model number of their watch, or its lineage. Most go for the watch that looks the best at the best price. Nothing more, nothing less. These are the people that Citizen et al sell their watches to, not us. Given the current consumer culture of always having the latest and newest it's little surprise that these companies continuously change their product lineup.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
very true...many got for the shiny and dont care how well it will hold up and dispose of it when it stops working....maybe call me old fashioned...but when i grew up..if something broke..we fixed it...and we bought the best quality we could too...that way it lasts...too many people do not think that way...it does make you mad that they cant keep something good for sale....seems to dumb to me too

·
"The Prospector"
4,579 Posts
I wish someone would throw a few 6309's my way :)

Rolex has barely changed anything in 50 years apart from manufacturing materials.
You have to remember that although we are WUS and care about the watches we own, most people (who make up the bulk of the profits for these companies) don't. The watch is something they wear and throw away after 10 years.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
they are great when you find them..

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to remember that although we are WUS and care about the watches we own, most people (who make up the bulk of the profits for these companies) don't. The watch is something they wear and throw away after 10 years. Most neither know nor care about the model number of their watch, or its lineage. Most go for the watch that looks the best at the best price. Nothing more, nothing less. These are the people that Citizen et al sell their watches to, not us. Given the current consumer culture of always having the latest and newest it's little surprise that these companies continuously change their product lineup.

What he said. They've got to cater to their major markets, and we ain't it!

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
...but when i grew up..if something broke..we fixed it...and we bought the best quality we could too...that way it lasts...too many people do not think that way...it does make you mad that they cant keep something good for sale....seems to dumb to me too

If "best quality" is not purchased, the cost of repair often will exceed the cost of a new item, thus creating many throwaways, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Agreed on that

If "best quality" is not purchased, the cost of repair often will exceed the cost of a new item, thus creating many throwaways, IMHO.
If they don't dis-continue them................
" What would we Collect " ?
We would go broke collecting them. And still wont have
the parts available to us.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Unfortunately this is part of marketing and where Citizen wan to be with the watches they make. Your right about the Ti Eco Zilla and the Auto Zilla they are not available anymore and are just classic watches that will last the test of time.

Cheers
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts