The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was it a forum member here that won that nice 6105-8119 off eBay last night? It was a very nice watch. it even had a Wjean waffle strap on it. I have way to many projects waiting in the wings to be buying anything else expensive right now. I just hope someone here was lucky enough to win it.

Michael

·
Special Member
1,982 Posts
you guys did notice that ALL of the hour markers had some black mold on them and that the minute hand was toast, right?

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guys did notice that ALL of the hour markers had some black mold on them and that the minute hand was toast, right?

<* shark >>><
You have to have the vision of the potential of the watch after it has received some TLC. To me that's 50% of being a watch collector. I do not want to restore every single watch I buy but just buying perfect watches and putting them on their little pillows and wearing them is just not enough for me. I love to get Mobious oil under my nails and old watch crude on my hands at least a couple times a week or I'm not happy.

Michael

·
Administrator
32,592 Posts
You have to have the vision of the potential of the watch after it has received some TLC. To me that's 50% of being a watch collector. I do not want to restore every single watch I buy but just buying perfect watches and putting them on their little pillows and wearing them is just not enough for me. I love to get Mobious oil under my nails and old watch crude on my hands at least a couple times a week or I'm not happy.

Michael
Yup thats the fun part :)

·
Special Member
1,982 Posts

Michael
lol...you don't know me very well. I buy LOTS of watches that need fixing up, but there are things I never compromise on and dial condition is one of them.

oh and speaking of watches on pillows, here's one of my "beaters" since you brought up the notion of wearing a watch any time, doing any activity:

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes but ask yourself why do you steer away from any watch than need some dial attention? I think many people believe dial repair is just to hard and see a dial that's a bit ugly and pass it by. It does not take much practice to give a worn dial a little love and have it looking respectable with a little work. I certainly am no artist but I can sometimes find a way to improve a dial enough to make it respectable enough to strap on your wrist. I like to restore some of the watches I buy and I do not believe in shipping jobs out because they make me nervous because they are not my forte. Take a chance. Buy an inexpensive watch and have a go at a relume job or a little touch up. To me stacking gears and oiling them up get easy real quick and I like a challenge so I try the next thing. I just bought a bead blaster to refinish a couple of military type Seiko's with a frosted finish on the case and bracelet. Should be pretty interesting! Whish I had Tiger's lathe then I could really have some fun!

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup thats the fun part :)
For sure Tiger. I ain't happy unless I have crud under my fingernails or cuts on my fingers or swearing up a storm because I screwed something up and have to do it all over again! I wouldn't have it any other way!:)

Michael:eek:hmy:

·
Special Member
1,982 Posts
Yes but ask yourself why do you steer away from any watch than need some dial attention? I think many people believe dial repair is just to hard and see a dial that's a bit ugly and pass it by. It does not take much practice to give a worn dial a little love and have it looking respectable with a little work. I certainly am no artist but I can sometimes find a way to improve a dial enough to make it respectable enough to strap on your wrist. I like to restore some of the watches I buy and I do not believe in shipping jobs out because they make me nervous because they are not my forte. Take a chance. Buy an inexpensive watch and have a go at a relume job or a little touch up. To me stacking gears and oiling them up get easy real quick and I like a challenge so I try the next thing. I just bought a bead blaster to refinish a couple of military type Seiko's with a frosted finish on the case and bracelet. Should be pretty interesting! Whish I had Tiger's lathe then I could really have some fun!

Michael
it's probably been instilled into me by my enjoyment of another watch brand, but i'll never buy a watch in which the dial needs replacement or refurbishing. to me, that's 90% of the watch. I don't want to worry about it being "respectable" enough to strap onto my wrist. there's nothing wrong with that surely, but it's akin to my never knowingly buying a watch with a relume - 99.99% of all relumes have at least 1 misshapen dial plot...LOL. I've only seen one person who does perfect relumin - now if I can only get him out of retirement to do up a couple of h558s for my sons who are not watch fans.

i'll buy a watch that needs a replacement of just about any part (depending on the watch), but the dial (vintage watch of course). it's really the only part that you can't replace, especially as NOS examples are disappearing more and more; you literally have to buy another watch to get an all original example. also, that 6105 you originally referred to was not a steal.

i'll end here as this really is just a case of all original fans vs those who don't mind fixing (noticeable wear)/modding. neither is wrong in either case and in this discussion, we are on different sides of the spectrum ....back to enjoyment.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I usually buy broken watches that have presentable dials, a totally corroded dial is a deal-breaker for me. Not always though... Wear cán be very nice to look at :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's probably been instilled into me by my enjoyment of another watch brand, but i'll never buy a watch in which the dial needs replacement or refurbishing. to me, that's 90% of the watch. I don't want to worry about it being "respectable" enough to strap onto my wrist. there's nothing wrong with that surely, but it's akin to my never knowingly buying a watch with a relume - 99.99% of all relumes have at least 1 misshapen dial plot...LOL. I've only seen one person who does perfect relumin - now if I can only get him out of retirement to do up a couple of h558s for my sons who are not watch fans.

i'll buy a watch that needs a replacement of just about any part (depending on the watch), but the dial (vintage watch of course). it's really the only part that you can't replace, especially as NOS examples are disappearing more and more; you literally have to buy another watch to get an all original example. also, that 6105 you originally referred to was not a steal.

i'll end here as this really is just a case of all original fans vs those who don't mind fixing (noticeable wear)/modding. neither is wrong in either case and in this discussion, we are on different sides of the spectrum ....back to enjoyment.

<* shark >>><
That is what I was guessing you aversion to buying watches with dials with some wear on them. You are correct finding an original Seiko replacement dial for any of these older models is extremely hard. If you are a purist then I could see why the that diver would not have peaked your interest. I'm from the other camp so for me it is a beautiful watch but I did not say it was a steal. Just that someone bought a nice old diver. Me I can see myself at the bench picking out the old cruddy lume and reluming the dial and hands and very carefully cleaning and dirt of the original dial. It is extremely time consuming and very difficult work and I understand why some want no part of it. Me its what I live for. bring back something worn and dirty back to a respectable state. Collecting watches for me is bringing an old beauty like that diver back to life then proudly displaying on my wrist and when someone notices it I can say I restored it.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually buy broken watches that have presentable dials, a totally corroded dial is a deal-breaker for me. Not always though... Wear cán be very nice to look at :)

Very nice! The dial does not have to be prefect for the watch to be enjoyable. If the dial is clearly legible and all the markers are in place a little fading is just fine with me. Just as long as it is not a real mess!

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mmmm lovely.

A bit of wear and fat font :)

I love a watch that needs some TLC but if it has stayed dry inside that's a huge bonus.
I hear you. I would much rather be just servicing a dry and dirty movement with a nice clean dial and taking some scuff out of a case but if it is a watch of great beauty like the 6217-8001 and I have to pick at that dial for hours to remove the old moldy lume then I just have to dig in with my back sore from hunching over then bench for hours because its worth it to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts