The Watch Site banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but there's a place in Atlanta, GA called Crystal Fit. They have a website with more info. I used them to get an acrylic crystal installed on a NOS case I mucked up when I did what you're about to do. I mailed it with a note describing the type of crystal I wanted installed, he emailed a price quote, I paid by PayPal and had it back in my hands within about 7 days. The "repair shop" at the mall quoted more money and had my case 2 months without touching it before I found the place in GA. That said, it is doable if you tread carefully. Good luck :)

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow. Forum wasn't sending me notifications that someone had posted. Sorry guys. So which type is it from the chart above?

To answer someone's question earlier, the outer turning ring of the slide rule will pop off, which I do once in a while to clean. Then I have also lifted off the inner slide rule ring to clean around the cursor, which also will come off when that inner ring is off. I'm not sure how the crystal is held on and whether it seats on the inside or outside. If inside, and I would have to remove the movement, that will probably wait a while. If it sits on top, that would be easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is not mine, but this is what I have, cursor and all. I need that bracelet, though. Mine has a black plastic band on it right now.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Generally, when removing a crystal you'd want to have the movement removed first and once the bezels are off pop it out from the backside. If you try to remove it from the top with the movement still in the watch case you risk possible damage. The crystal usually is held in tightly by the gasket.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I also checked the casing guide..looks good. Caution when you remove the crystal from the inside that you don't damage the chapter ring if there is one present . The pic from the guide shows a crystal press to install the crystal . You could use one of the nylon or plastic dies to fit inside the case on the crystal...careful of the chapter ring..., to tap it out . The Watch Repair Channel on Youtube shows this procedure .
If you use the press to install the crystal be aware that the bottom die doesn't put pressure on the case tubes , I made that error ONCE.

Screen shot 2015-04-08 at 10.06.32 AM.png

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you take out the movement on this one be very careful...6138's are prone to getting a bit messed up if you remove/reinsert the stem incorrectly. It is not a problem on the 6139s and is due to the added hand wind function of the 6138.
Make sure the stem is fully home when you press the detent button to remove the stem....light pressure on it but enough that it lets you remove the stem without force (becuase that would likely change the keyless works to not be 'home').

When you reinsert the stem you need to make sure you do so carefully...if it is feeling a little 'springy' STOP, pull the stem back out and try again at a slightly different angle. If you feel it has gone in up to a 'hard stop'....push it home and hope.

^ Is what I do anyhow.

Good luck. Buy a crystal press and you will have all you need to change your crystal as described by the other guys here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It seems that watch crystals are fixed to the watch case by means of friction.

No glue is involved.

Quick question: say if the case has a slight deformity, will it actually cause micro gaps between the case and the crystal thereby compromising the water tightness of the watch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Case Exploded Diagram?

I find myself 5 years later in the same position of restoring one of these. The images for the case diagram seem to have gone stale.

Any chance these images are still available somewhere I can get to them?

Thank you.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I find myself 5 years later in the same position of restoring one of these. The images for the case diagram seem to have gone stale.

Any chance these images are still available somewhere I can get to them?

Thank you.
The casing guide is available in the technical section (here’s a direct link)

Whist the 6138-7000 is not shown exactly, it’s a pretty standard tension ring crystal set up (A1, screw 1) which pops in with a crystal press if I remember correctly... did mine years ago.

Here’s mine...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts