The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '73 Seiko 6138-7000 that I inherited from my grandfather in non working condition about 20 years ago.
I sent it off at the time to Coserv,who repaired and cleaned it mechanically, and cleaned up the outside, but the crystal has some digs in it, even after a polishing by them. The crystal was unavailable, so they did the best they could.

I finally found an NOS crystal for it, but as I experienced before, nobody around here wants to mess with an old watch, esp. if it doesn't say Rolex on it.

So, is Coserv still around? Would they use a crystal I sent them, if I sent it back in for a tuneup?

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Well hello and welcome to the forum...great to have you with us....Sean...if you are mechanically inclined..you can do this ....we can walk you thru it...if dont feel comfortable doing it yourself....i am sure we can find someone close to you to help...where are you located?...God Bless John...if you need any help...pm me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hello and welcome to the forum...great to have you with us....Sean...if you are mechanically inclined..you can do this ....we can walk you thru it...if dont feel comfortable doing it yourself....i am sure we can find someone close to you to help...where are you located?...God Bless John...if you need any help...pm me.
Hi John,

Thanks! I was on another forum several years ago, which is how I learned about Coserv in the first place, after every jeweler in town looked at me like I was crazy.

I am mechanically inclined, and I have some small tools, as well. I've had the outer slide rule and the inner one off for cleaning under the cursor previously. Both popped up nicely with a nudge from a pocket knife.

Willing to give it a go.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
242 Posts
Best advice for you is to find a good watchmaker, you are highly likely to damage the watch if this will be your first time working on a watch.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
hey if you are careful and use some common sense...you can do any repairs yourself..taking off a bezel is quite easy...getting it back on is a little tricky but it can be done ....i would not use a pocket knife as that will scratch the case...you can protect the case with some painters tape...and i have found that a nylon tool will work well and will not damage anything...if you have a local shop...they can easily change it while you wait...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey if you are careful and use some common sense...you can do any repairs yourself..taking off a bezel is quite easy...getting it back on is a little tricky but it can be done ....i would not use a pocket knife as that will scratch the case...you can protect the case with some painters tape...and i have found that a nylon tool will work well and will not damage anything...if you have a local shop...they can easily change it while you wait...
Cool. Do I just need to take off the inner slide rule ring to get to the crystal?

I appreciate the caution. I make it seem like I'm more flippant about it than I really am.

A watchmaker or repair shop is good advice, but I have scoured the shops around here, and nobody wants to work on a watch that they can't just replace if they screw up. The finer jewelers considered it "beneath" them, and the ones who sell Seiko wouldn't touch it.

As I said, I feel confident in my ability to do it. I work on guitars and amps, and used to build models. I'm used to working on delicate things.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
hey with the slide rule model...i told you incorrectly...the bezel should turn...which means it does not retain the crystal...it will have a crystal retaining ring...you stated you have removed the slide rule ring without damage?...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I think once you remove the sliding bezel, the inner stationary bezel should be popped off like in the UFO and then you can push out the crystal.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
well that is what i thought at first too...but from what i read...it is like a diver...i can not find good info about this one..it looks like the clear bezel comes off and then it is a regular bezel...you remove that and there is a retaining ring...Doom have you ever seen any tech sheet for this one...i will try and find one..can anyone please help find a disassembly manual or tech sheet...or if anyone has had this one apart...any help will so be appreciated ...God Bless John...just want to make sure i am giving out the correct info

·
Registered
931 Posts
Howzit John and All...pics always help . Sean . I believe after 5 posts you can add pics ...
some place on this forum [homepage ?] there are instructions for posting pics
As John advised ...take every precaution not to scratch your watches . Doesn't look good and it seems that's all you'll see when you look at your watch , and it gives you more work to remove any scratches.....which is another thing altogether . As you can see , John is looking for tech sheets that will give you an exploded view pf the parts involved to get to the crystal . Good Luck and Welcome .

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Louis i can not find a tech sheet on this model....it sure would help...maybe someone who had worked on one will chime in..i will keep looking too

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
The information is most likely in the Seiko Tech manual. I'll have a look see after work this evening.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
thank you Tom...really appreciate it...i can not find anything online either...

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
well that is great for the movement...appreciate it..we need to find the sheet for the case...it will show how it comes apart...these can be a little tricky with that slide rule and would hate to see it damaged ....someone will be able to find that case tech sheet...

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
thank you..that will really help...

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts