The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and have been doing some reading in preparation for some modding I want to do. I'm starting with my 4205, swapping the dial, chapter ring and hands. This is my first venture into watch tinkering but I do have experience with old mechanical cameras. I have two questions. When you are setting the hands to 12 noon what do you do with the second hand? The second is, I would like to do an all out mod and customize something for myself. I really love the midsize but there aren't many available aftermarket options that I've found. Would you guys go with a cheaper 7002 or should I go ahead and spend the extra I have for parts and get a SKX? I have more questions but I'll keep reading first. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
IMO the world is your Oyster if you bought the SKX but my preference would be a 6309-704X :)
SKX for me, there's more parts for the 7s26 now than there are for the 6309 - it's a shame though i love a modded 6309...

All these have had to have the dial feet cut off and sticky pads used.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the 6309 but I was hoping to dip into something with a lot of options until I get the hang of it. Would you say the 7002 is off the table?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Regarding your question about setting the seconds hand. My thoughts are that you don't need to worry about setting it in any specific position. Try and set it with the movement wound down, as it just makes it easier. Then once you've got it going again, when you set the time you can align the minute hand on the minute when the seconds hand reaches 12.

You could start out with something inexpensive like a SNK809. No bezels to pop off, just hands and dial. Most of the ones sold by yobokies and dagaz have the dial feet in the right place. And there's loads of options for hands.

Have fun.....I am.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I'm reading this right, the second hand doesn't have to be put back exactly where it was removed? I have a SNK 80? (The tan face) to work on as well lol. I am having a hell of a time with the 4025 chapter ring though. My aftermarket piece is a lot smaller and looks like it's just part of the two piece ring. Still looking for info into that.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
The humble 7002 has lots of modding options available. As its a date only movement you can only use date dials or non date dials and will have to clip the dial feet and use sticky pads, though i do have a cunning plan to build a day date 7002.

A few of my 7002 mods
Fifty Five Fathoms, Dagaz dial designed to fit the SKX/SNZ, hands are from Yobokies and a custom made chapter ring from The Tiger.
fff3.jpg

6217 dial and 6105 hands from Mountapo merchant.
Sterilized chapter ring
DSCF0027.jpg

PMM, Yobokies dial and hand set designed for the SKX/SNZ range, AR coated crystal from outlet goods, case has been TST modded by The Tiger, and the 7002 movement was upgraded to a 21j 7019
orient 192.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
To the first part, that's right, it doesn't matter. To the second part, you might have to post up a pic of the chapter ring (old and aftermarket) so the guys here can point you in the right direction. Maybe you mean the bezel insert?
Either way. Pics always help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On the 4205, not sure if your watch is the -014 size or -015 size. When removing the movement from the case, it is very easy to snag the seconds hand on something and twist it badly. I learned this the hard way. I'm still not sure where I went wrong.

The movement is held to a case ring with 2 screws. On my sample of 3 of these watches, one or both of the screws has been broken and rattling around. Looking at pictures of these on ebay, I see both the twisted hand problem and broken case screw problem a lot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll look into the case screws. So far nothing seems amiss and the movement was removed with no issues (that I know of yet lol). Here are a couple pics of the issue. In the first pic you can see the stock black ring and the replacement orange ring. Note the size difference. The other ring (largest of the three is a bushing or spacer. Now on the second pic you can see that the black chapter ring looks to be two pieces. If that's the case then the orange one I received might work if I can find a way to remove the black one without marking the metal ring too bad. Again it could be the wrong part in general but the dial it came with is the right size. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Im no expert on the 4205, but i think theres something amiss with the chapter rings.
Heres some pics of a 4205 0150 case that i have in the hope it helps

This is the case minus the crystal
DSCF0269.jpg
With the bezel removed you have to pize off the crystal retaining ring, (the "metal ring" you refered to earlier?) then press out the crystal from inside which should leave the rubber L shaped gasket behind, sometimes it may stay attached to the crystal
DSCF0271.jpg
DSCF0272.jpg
And then remove the chapter ring.
DSCF0273.jpg
Which is approximately 1 inch or 25mm external diameter.If those squares in your pics are in increments of 1 inch, then your stock chapter ring appears to be too big
The chapter ring is one piece, but there is a raised lip, which on mine is on the outer diameter and on yours is on the inner diameter.
DSCF0274.jpg
DSCF0275.jpg .
Where did that bushing /spacer come from, the top one in your pics?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weird. Mine didn't have that ring holding the crystal or the L shaped gasket... Here is a pic of all the bezel pieces and crystal. I guess I'm going to have to wing it lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was tired of trying to figure it out so I just painted the original chapter ring. Came out really smooth and glossy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts