The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, SCWF newbie here!

I am writing to solicit inputs from the folks regarding Seiko Spring Drive watches. I am looking to purchase my first Spring Drive watch, any suggestions? I am not new to Seikos as I currently have a GS, KS, Ananta, Velatura, SKXA35, and 7123-8059 (for a good measure), but alas, no Spring Drive.

I am looking at either the Spring Drive Tuna or MM600. Anyone willing to share the experience with the Spring Drives? :grin:

Excelsior!

Tony

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hi Tony. The SD is an incredible movement and there are some great choices. I have the MM600, the Landmaster Muira. The snowflake, and the blue LE diver.

All are very well executed in every way. From a movement perspective the accuracy is unreal and watching the sweep is a truly unique experience.

Of the four, my favorite is the snowflake. It's a stunning piece all around and the dial treatment is truly special.

The MM600 is a fantastic piece as well and probably your lowest price of entry to SD. While I do love it, I prefer my MM300. It's cleaner looking, a bit more manageable size wise, and gets far more wrist time. That said, the 600 is fantastic so don't necessarily let my preference of the 300 sway you.

Here's a group shot....yes, my sickness includes stands !

Good luck in the search and if you have detailed questions, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
7,889 Posts
The SBGA011 Snowflake remains on my short list of 'must-haves' before I leave this earth.

DaveSwordFish I love your display items - really great.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I bought the Spring Drive golden tuna last year. It was my first Spring Drive and I was nervous due to the cost, but I love the tuna case and thought this was a nice risk to take.

Bottom line: the movement is fantastic and the smoothness of the sweep seconds hand is mesmerizing. The finish on the watch itself (all of the SD's are high end of course) is easily up there with the Swiss watches I own of similar or greater price (that includes IWC, Rolex, JLC, etc). My only beef with all the SD's is that the "power meter" seems superfluous and mars the symmetry of the dial a touch, but I guess it's now tradition.

I'm happy I bought the Gold version as it forced me to stray from my typical stainless and black BUT the pictures of the new black SD tuna look AMAZING!!!!!

You'll love it...and if you can get to Japan and find one, the Yen is in a great place plus customs rebate. Plus, you can take pics of it on your wrist around all sorts of cool Japanese stuff! ;) If you're looking for a model outside of the tuna, that should be even easier to find.

Cheers and good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've had three of them. I had the original moon phase LE which is a great dress watch. I had the MM 600 and hated it. it's a great watch but for me with my 6.75 inch wrists it was like a big honking manhole cover on my wrist and the worst dimension isn't the diameter but the thickness and because of the way the the case cover is it sat uncomfortably on my wrist bone and it's thickness seemed to be magnified.

Now I have one, the Spring drive GMT which is a very nice watch both dressy and sporty and great WR and that is my favorite by far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had three SD's

I have had three SD's, the GS SBGE001 GMT, the 600M Marine Master and the GS 200M Titanium Diver SBGA031. The only one that I still own is by far my favorite without hesitation and that is the SBGA031. It is the best looking, the most accurate and the most comfortable. Just all around a great watch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome!

Wow, thank you every body for the information! More options to consider and the toughest part is actually choosing one out of many excellent ones.

Cheers!

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts