The Watch Site banner

Which Seiko have you neglected?

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  reklawg 
#1 ·
How many of us are guilty of the crime of neglect? Either we have watches that have sat in a drawer, replaced by the next greatest acquisition, or perhaps even worse, watches we bought and literally never wore.

For myself, I'm afraid I'm guilty on both counts.

I have so many pieces that I've purchased and just not really taken the opportunity to wear for awhile and appreciate them....and I'm afraid I'm guilty of the crime of setting aside a perfectly good daily watch when the next shiny, more modern version comes along.

I do eventually go back to my regular rotation, but some of the pieces I've purchased never even have a chance.

I just wondered if anyone else here can say the same

Best,

Mike

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah, so true. One of the first 7A38's I bought, when I started seriously collecting them, back in early 2009, was a no better than average condition 7A38-702H from Thian Wong. I still have a couple of his montage photos on file:

It doesn't look quite so good in the harsh light of day:

I didn't realize how common they were at the time. I've bought 2 (now 3) more since then, in much better condition. Keep meaning to dig Thian's ex-watch out and stick it on eBay.

Funnily enough, I couldn't remember when I'd actually last worn it, so I just ran a search on my own forum and found the WRUW thread post which includes that photo. The text reads:

Then there's this one, I'd bought first (back in April 2009) from SCWF member Thian Wong:
Not quite so pristine, eh ? In hindsight, I'd probably been bamboozled by a few of Thian's fancy 'montage' style photos of it he posted:
Why have I still kept it, when I have two cosmetically better examples in my collection ? God only knows.
:roll:

It certainly isn't because I ever wear it. When I took it out of my collection box to take that photo, the day / date was showing SUN 14.

So that would indicate I hadn't worn it (or even taken it out of the box) for a year. Interestingly, the time was only 4 seconds out !!
:o

Maybe it's nostalgia. Whatever. It's a well-travelled example for sure. Think about this:

Made in Japan in 1984. Shipped presumably to a Seiko US West Coast distributor. Ended up with Dan Braun in Oregon.

Dan sold it to Thian, who lives in Osaka, Japan. Thian sold it to me in England. Maybe I finally ought to consider selling it on.

But it would have to be to someone who lived at least 5000 miles away !

That post is dated October 21, 2012. :D

#7 ·
I know I’ve posted this picture a couple of times, but I try to get all these guys in a rotation. They should be worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Giorno and Pippy
#8 ·
I would not say I neglect any of my watches. I go through a phase of wearing divers then switch to Sportsmatic's for a week or two, then hand winders, chronographs, other sundry dress watches, a few other brands then back to divers again etc. All are appreciated and get worn occasionally. The watches I feel I won't wear or don't admire get moved on, there have been several hundred of those, they don't get ignored, they get sold. Then I buy something I think I might like more.

#12 ·
I tend to be a one watch guy type of person by that I mean I will wear my current favorite (at present 6159-7000) for weeks/months/years on end and only wear others for the occasional photo shoot hence the reason I have moved a couple of hundred or so on in the last few of years plus as Michael says the "dead Presidents" come in handy :)

#13 ·
My first Seiko (I never sell my watches, and all are bought from new) Back in the early 80's when I was a one watch guy, I must have worn it for over 10 years, got married in it. Then stated to accumulate more watches and it went in a draw, I took it out a few years later, thought I'll put a new battery in it and snapped the clip that holds the battery in, my first piece of watchcraft ended in disaster. Back in the draw it went, many years later when I knew a bit more I went to go to resurrect it, and now can't locate it. I won't have thrown it, there were 2 other watches with it too, it must be somewhere in this house, but I just can't find the damn thing. Never stop looking.

#14 ·
I think my most neglected watch has to be this.....
Purchased from our very own pollyc many years ago. I bought an identical one from him, but with a silver dial round about the same time.
That grey sunburst dial looks absolutely stunning with a crisp white shirt and nice dark suit but it's been worn once I think.
I get suited and booted very very rarely and when I do there seems to be a couple of other watches get the gig. The silver dialled one gets an occasional outing if I'm putting on nice jeans and shirt but this poor chap always seems to be left behind.
I have had a bit of a clear out recently of watches that weren't making the cut but this guys just too gorgeous to sell and I still feel guilty about the price I paid Mike....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.