The Watch Site banner

Which of these would you choose?

3K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Jeje3325 
#1 ·
I am a collector of vintage watches, but would like to buy a modern watch for daily wear.
The Citizen AS4035-04E and Seiko SBDC003 are quite interesting.
Which would you choose (if you couldnt afford both?)
Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
The Sumo is good-looking, mechanical and has the crown at 4, which I find comfortable, but the Citizen would make a great grab and go watch (it won't run down) and might be a better choice if you need the chrono, alarm, etc. Either one would make a fine daily wearer. Why not get one now and one next year? As a pair they would compliment each other well, IMO.

paul

#7 ·
For myself I would certainly pick the Citizen since I am a huge fan of smart watches.

Even for you IMHO the Citizen would still be the much better choice - a 'daily wearer' is by definition a watch that does not need 'babysitting' and can handle well minor scratches - the Citizen has YEARS of power reserve (and is a solar perpetual calendar + chrono + alarm + radio sync in Europe) and DLC coating plus sapphire crystal beats by a huge margin steel + mineral on the Sumo !!! The only thing that is more solid on the Sumo is the bracelet, but the Citizen one is more elegant.

#8 ·
This Citizen is awesome, much nicer than the Sumo imo. It looks stealthy but elegant. I wouldn't hesitate a second to chose it. Normally I don't love chronographs, but this looks wicked.
The Sumo is a nice watch, but the bezel-numbers just don't look right. And you often hear people say that the 20mm-bracelet is just to narrow for the big head.

#9 ·
The only problem with the Citizen is that its radio controlled feature will not sync outside of Japan. So right there, it will be wasted.

While I can appreciate the Sumo and mechanical watches in general, a Citizen Eco-Drive is a better choice for a daily wear watch.

#10 ·
W_G said:
Which would you choose (if you couldnt afford both?)
If I could afford botzh, why should I make a choice? :)

Seriously: I would prefer the Citizen for daily wear.
A diver is too special for daily wear and only suits a sports outfit.
I would not say that the Citizen would perfectly suit a business outfit, but more than a diver for sure.

Cheers,

Axel

#11 ·
Two very different watches and they are therefor hard to compare. IF I were to choose, I would without the least of doubt choose the Sumo. It is as simple as this: For that money, You will not find a better finished case and a more accurate automatic movement ;) IMHO, that is ;D

Look at this nicely finished case - I just love it :)

[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/joepetejokla/SumoHornLnke.jpg

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies; I think it must be the Sumo then.

I like the Citizen because it hase a titanium case and synchronizes itself;
but if I have to live in Japan for that..thats just a bit too much :)

And the Sumo is simply a beautiful watch. + in heavy rain it will still work! ;)

#13 ·
Two completely different watches, and not in competition with each other.

It depends on your requirements.

Do you just want a watch that tells the time and date? If so, take the Sumo. It is a stunning watch - what it lacks in feature it makes up for with quality.

Do you need an alarm and chrono (and is that a 2nd timezone in there somewhere)? Then take the Citizen.

Your personal requirements will decide which watch is best for you.

I have the Sumo, love it, and have no hesitation recommending it to anybody. But that DLC Citizen looks like a SLICK chrono.

#15 ·
I'd pick the Sumo. Two primary reasons:

1) The Citizen is a PVD finish which will not hold up well to constant daily use. Nothing looks sadder to me than an older PVD watch that has a lot of steel wear through.

2) The Sumo is a steady seller on watch sales boards. It constantly sells for an average of $420 (I track it with a spreadsheet), and used Sumos that are correctly priced rarely last long on a sales forum. If you get the Sumo and decide you would have rather had the Citizen instead, it's an easy thing to sell the Sumo. If you can find one used for $420, you can own it for no cost, should you decide to get rid of it.

#18 ·
The Sumo would be for me if styling is the only measure. However since you say this will be your daily wearer, I must assum that this will be a grab and wear type of watch that will be submitted to whatever activities you are engaged in. If so, a watch that requires minimal input, such as the citizen, might be the more practical choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.