The Watch Site banner

Which of these Seiko movement series is your favourite?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these Seiko movement series is your favourite and why? I'm curious about what people think about the technical merits of each, and which might be considered the "best" - of course so subjective.
The 5206 and 5606 are of course higher starting points than say, a 6106... but how might a 6146 compare to say, a 5646, or a 5246, or even a 6246? Can anyone comment at this [GS/KS] level?
Outside of newer movements and 70xx, I've had a generally good experience with the 6106, 5126, and 5216/06 watches. But now I'm looking for something a little more high end. How might you compare a 5106/46, 5246, 5626? The 51xx series is a bit of a mystery to me... not too much info, and interesting how the 5106 and 46 have microregulators, while the 5126/39 used in Seiko 5s have them taken off. To those who have owned both Presmatics and KS/GS, how would you say they compare?

If anyone can go into a good technical debate, I think that'd be great! ;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
flawless51 said:
If anyone can go into a good technical debate, I think that'd be great! ;)
Hi,
Tough question specially if you want the technical side. And since I know next to nothing about the technical side of mechanical watches, I'll just say that I like my Presmatics (two) a lot, but they are fragile watches. AFAIK Seiko mechanical movements have evolved over time by necessity, and by incorporating new technologies. By necessity I mean the need to lower costs and increase reliability by having fewer parts and allowing for automated assembly. A 7S26 movement is, AFAIK, entirely automatically assembled and is not designed to be adjusted. It is designed to be at the same time low cost, reliable and maintenance free for as long as possible.
By incorporating new technologies I mean for example the Spring Drive movements, which are quite unique in their technology.
Thanks for starting this thread, I believe some forumers with a lot more knowledge than myself will provide some interesting points of view here.
Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've voted for the 61XX movements.

Most of my vintage seikos have this extremely versatile and durable movement fitted, including a 6105, a 6117, and several 6138's and 6139's.

The 6139 in particular is a real "Hall of Fame" movement, being both the first automatic chronograph for sale to the general public, and the first auto chrono in space. Many are still running strongly 40 years after they were made, having suffered all sorts of neglect and abuse during their lifetime. Sadly it only appears to be really appreciated by Seiko enthusiasts.

·
Registered
964 Posts
One factor, that speaks for the 52xx is that the later 4S15 was based on them.
However, personally I tend to love the 61xx movements for the great variety of use as Lee just qrote.
I think the 56xx movements with their quick-set weakness are otherwise very good movements but this weakness can be a pita.
I cannot say too much about the 51xx and the 62xx. I don't know anything about particular weaknesses.

Just for sentimental reasons, I voted for the 61xx as I just got my first 6146 this weekend. ;)

Cheers,

Axel

Edit: I do not want to hide one drawback of the 61xx and 62xx series: height! The 5xxx can be used in flatter watches.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There is also an interesting mechanical Seiko movement that didn't make your list: the 36000bph 5740C handwind.

There are pictures of a nice "pimped up" version here: http://watchpassion.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!30D403FE07E97F98!159.entry
And quite a few videos on Youtube (just search for 5740C).
As I wrote above I am no expert but just by looking at the thing it seems to be built like a tank! ;)
Cheers,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I know some of the 5000 series calibers are higher grade, but mi preference is for 6000 series calibers, and in particular 61XX. The reason is simple Thoroughness, all metal construction, robustness, and sheer scope of application. The sheer number of watches that used this caliber family is just staggering. That plus of course this family includes the first automatic chornographs movements, which are fairly high end, even by today's standards.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my main collection are vintage "humble" Seiko's, only a few chrono's and bells.

the 6106 hacking calibre is my favorite. because of.. the hacking :)
and I like the 7005/6 because of their simplicity.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I like the hack and windable feature of the 5106 pressmatic. Build quality is very good. I like the 56 also but the plastic changer puts it in second place. though both the 51 and 56 are pita to service compare to 61 series, Id still choose the 5106.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts