The Watch Site banner

Do you need to know the time to the exact second?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to ask this for a while...we all seem to have an interest in watches and by association the correct time.
I have WaveCeptors that are radio controlled and therefore correct to the second and some vintage autos that can be a min or 2 out per day.
Who here needs to have the correct time down to the second maybe for their work or other reasons? I am just interested to know how any people have things that really depend on the exact time
Regards
Jem

·
Registered
772 Posts
I like knowing the exact time so I can put the morning watch at the right time but actually, I don't really mind the small differences between my watches. I have 2 atomic for fun and exact time.
Anyway I'm never late lol :p

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Re: Which memebrs,on a daily basis, need to know the time to the exact second?

not me, in fact, i have never timed a watch. if i look at my watch and the minute hand is the same as my tv guide, i'm good to go. :D

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
547 Posts
Casiojem said:
I am just interested to know how any people have things that really depend on the exact time
Regards
Jem
I need to know to within a few seconds - not for any pragmatic reason, but because I'm an obsessive compulsive nut bucket... :p ;D

·
Administrator
30,414 Posts
If some one asks me the time and it is for example 5.28 and 17 seconds pm i would with out fail reply "Nearly 5.30" as the majority of folks tend to do, the only time i need really precise time keeping is when i have boilded eggs for breakfast and then they have to be boiled for 7mins 15sec to the dot !! ;D

ps: I also prefer my watches to run slightly fast rather than slow, that way i am never late which is a fobia of mine, i hate lateness :mad: :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
I try to keep it within 30 secs or so. I like to know how much I'm off... so when I set my watch, I'll note that difference and keep it in the back of my head.

Of course, since I'm a WIS, half the time when I look at my watch, I'm not actually reading what it says. Just admiring the hardware! ;D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I voted for the "within a minute or so", as we have lots (as in too many!) meetings throughout the day, and it's good to have the "proper time". But it doesn't have to be "to the second".

However, I do need to time things "to the second" very often, so while I don't the "time of day" to be exact to the second, I do need watches that can measure moderately long time durations (like up to an hour) "to the second".

Make sense?

- Thomas "MotoWatch"

·
Registered
177 Posts
I admit being wicked anal retentive about it. I need the exact time for journal entries at work, but that's just an excuse - we have computer entries & a digital clock (that's off by 10 seconds - told you I was AR!)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Like the other posts, I don't need exact time for work, but have fun knowing the atomic time/TV time, car digital time all vary.....so even my most accurate watch (8f56 and 8f32) can be off (after reading alot on the WUS HEQ forum) by fractions of seconds...am I time anal??? ;D

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Great question!!!!!! I only go by the Denver atomic clock and I compare my watches to see which one is better (which means, that varies the least with respect to the Atomic clock). Considering time, the one that is closest to the Atomic Clock and the cheapest will be the best. So if I have a Seiko with a 7S26B and I got it in a cereal box, that is the best one. Any bells and whistles are just additional; because as we all know, even a non working watch can give you the exact time twice daily.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had to get up at 7:30 this morning, but guess which plonker hadn't reset his alarm clock last week when BST started, so no, having the exact time isn't a prime concern in my life ;D , half the time I have to check what day it is on the TV :eek: .

Most of my watches are 70's mechanicals, and get swapped around on a daily basis, as long as they run to within a minute or 2 a day, I'm happy.......... and I never, ever, bother to set the calendars on my watches.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I do for work... I make television.
Not everyday, and not every show do I need that kind of accuracy.
I usually wear a Gshock atomic to work.

But we usually go by what ever the 'official' clock is.
usually its in the control room or on the video truck.

On the very rare occasions that we are doing true live broadcasts or Sattelite broadcasts or
shows with callers does mega accuracy count.
Most of the time it does not matter.

I do consult the time constantly during the day- usually to gauge projects, vs. lunch or other breaks our work is broken into chunks that can be managed in the time from start to coffee, coffee to lunch , lunch to PM break till wrap etc.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi, Kev, I remember an old post of yours where you had mentioned how hard your job was on the Gs,....so what model are you wearing now? :D

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
When I strap on the day's Bell-matic, I just check my CASIO Pathfinder for the correct time. (And I am regularly amazed by how some of the old Belles are still dead on at the end of the day!) 8)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm not too fussed about spot on accuracy for the sake of it, but I like to regulate my vintage watches to be as close as possible, just to see that they can be pretty damn accurate after all these years 8)

Sweephand

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I first got started collecting (about a year ago) I was timing every watch I bought. I would wear a new watch about a week in order to determine the best way lay the watch overnight (face up/down, 12:00 up/down, crown up/down). Well I have out-grown that obsession. Most of my watches run within +/- 5-10 seconds/day and I usually wear a watch for a day or two before swapping ... so I don't even check any more. Funny thing, the most accurate automatic watch I own is the one I paid the least for. It's an SNK807 with 7S26B movement that I paid $62 for. Wore it once for 2 weeks straight on a camping/fishing trip in the Colorado mountains. When I got back and checked it against an atomic clock it had deviated exactly 0 seconds. Sometimes you just get lucky!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts