The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the 6306-7000, 6306-7001, 6309-7040/49 vintage Turtles on the other side vs. the new SRP Turtles SRP 775 to 77x.

If you were only to choose only one and assuming that both are in same pristine condition...what will you get? The $400-700 vintage Turtles or the $250-375 new Turtles? :confused:

Please explain why? Advance thanks for your answer :)

·
Administrator
32,091 Posts
For me it would have to be a mint 6306 or mint 6309, Vintage, will increase in value and a iconic model imo and still under priced (imo).

The new SRP are great value for money, hacking, hand wind and new at the price they are going for how can you not like them ?

But the 6306/6309 are just so vintage :) and I like vintage :)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
How would you know the 63** is in pristine condition. It might look so from the outside but the movement may not be and it just may have had many fingers on it. How are its bearings, spring etc. It would not be cheap to overhaul.

While I now have both, the modern ones would be my choice because their newer movements, lume quality and the hacking devices.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
6306/6309 by a long way. The SRPs are nice, trouble free etc. But a good condition 6306 is lovely to wear. To disagree with John, slightly, the prices are starting to get a little silly, especially for the 6306s. I sold one for 750, but it was very near mint. I've seen naff ones go for around 5-600 and if the mint one I sold therefore is to push 1k, well nah, I'm not interested. The SRP for a third of the price would be way more worth the money. These aren't rare it's just that people HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW NOW NOW and that's pushed prices up beyond what they are worth imo. Subjective I know, but seeing as Seiko didn't screw people over with prices for the SRPs (maybe the Zimbe although I think that's rather dull after I had one) unlike the 62MAs reissue, then they're a great alternative really. Especially the 'basic' 777, 789, maybe the 01, these will be future classics I think as most people go for the, dare I say loud looking PADI or the slightly odd looking 775 'gold' colour version.

When I had my 6306s and 6309s I couldn't be bothered with the SRP range although I wanted a 789 and still do. But now I don't have either, it would be a decent 6306 for me any day.

Plus the parts are still somewhat available and these things generally speaking if the hands and dial are good, so will the movement be in my experience. Otherwise a service and maybe a jewelling of the arbor holes would be a good idea to keep em running for plenty of years.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,133 Posts
How would you know the 63** is in pristine condition. It might look so from the outside but the movement may not be and it just may have had many fingers on it. How are its bearings, spring etc. It would not be cheap to overhaul.

While I now have both, the modern ones would be my choice because their newer movements, lume quality and the hacking devices.
If a 6306 or 6309 looks pristine, then it's good enough for me, and most others on this site I suspect. Appearance and originality are everything. The workings are easy to fix.

Newer movements are not necessarily better. Parts of the modern low-end movements generally found in these watches are very cheaply produced. I am not as technically minded as many others on this site, but I believe the movements within 6306 and 6309 divers are better made than the modern equivalents and are easily serviced and repaired.

You suit yourself, but I'll take a pristine vintage every time.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I would have the original - it hugs the wrist just that little better. Also - it's the original!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fortunately I do not have to make that choice. The missing part of the question is how this watch is to be used. If I wanted an everyday watch that would be worn in all conditions(work and play including light "in water" use, but I don't mean a beater) I would take the SRP for its more modern technology. Lets not forget, before the SRP came out, many of the features of the SRP were on the wish list of those who had the 6309s ( drilled lugs for ease of strap change, hacking, and hand winding) . If on the other hand this were to be an occasional wear watch subject to light duty in a rotation with others, I would opt for the nostalgia of the original. The SRP is a great value, feature rich watch that will some day no doubt take on a cult following just like the 61 and 63 series in another 20-40 years. Its hard for me to justify the lofty prices being asked for the 63s now as they are not now nor were they ever rare.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,133 Posts
Its hard for me to justify the lofty prices being asked for the 63s now as they are not now nor were they ever rare.
I agree. 6306, and 6309 divers are not rare. 62mas and 6105's are not rare either. They are readily available on ebay practically every day. The trick is to find a good one for a price you are happy to pay. Prices are high, - not due to rarity but to demand. There are a lot of people looking for them, and new collectors arriving all the time.

Besides anything else, very nice examples are a joy to own and wear, and are a sound investment.

·
Special Member
7,058 Posts
Firstly in the US a brand new SRP77X can be had for $250, so compared to what constitutes a $250 6309-7049 I'd take the SRP777 any day.

Now if I compare a pristine 6309- it would cost $500-$600 and I would prefer it over the reissue but its not fair to ask guven the 2X pricing.

Having a modern waterproof hacking SRP777 on the comfy new soft rubber on my wrist with no worries under warranty is its own joy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
This is like comparing the venerable 1960s Dodge Dart that had the indestructible slant 6 with a current Fiat(Dodge) vehicle.

The 63xx models were the tanks of the day and the current offerings are not designed to last 40 years nor be any better than the new Fiat(Dodge) crap.

Seiko and other Japanese manufacturers have smartened up and realized that that wasting design and manufacturing dollars on entry level products that last more than 3 years is a bad business model. The average consumer changes out nearly everything they buy in a 3 to 5 year period.

Watchmakers and repairers who have to deal with these new cost reduced, inventory rationalized watches will all verify what crap they are compared to previous Seiko offerings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a SRP775. Sold it after I got a 6309. Somehow a 40year old piece keeping time well with a full power reserve just speaks to me more. The reissues are robust and nice, but the real keepers to me are the original vintages. I could have both in my collection, but then I'd find myself picking up the 6309 every single time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think a 6306 that was mint and dive ready would take it for me but you'd need to be into vintage watches which many aren't. The SRP ultimately looks and feels very different to a 6306/9 and the lume works, too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My choice.

If you are looking at price / value ratio, you can't beat SRP 77x (or similar) unless you find a real bargain 6309 - 704x.
You can buy it without any trouble, it is new, you put it on your wrist, or maybe you have to regulate it, which is quite simple and cheap - and that is it!

My favorite is my 6309. It is all original but it has new Seiko hands, which look very nice, polishing is more refined and shiny than on original, lume matter is much less textured but they glow all night.

It needed complete service of the movement, a new pallet fork but it is now dead on accurate. It is very steady at 0 to +1 sec daily.

It's dial looks much more classy and refined than on new SRP.

My 6306 is very, very nice, 100% original, also completely serviced, it is regulated to about +5 secs / per day, I know I can do better than that, but I don't need to, because it looks too good for me to be worn every day.

Time has shown that original polishing on this watches is very sensitive (that darn thin line on the side that only some "safe queens" still have it), and that the red script doesn't like a lots of sun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is interesting to note that a couple of gents here make the point that the new seiko movements in the SRP's are not built to the standards of the old 6309 movements. Back 3 -4 years ago on Seiko sites, I recall the same arguments being made that the 6309 movements with plastic day wheel drivers were somehow inferior to the 61xx series of movements, and were not built to last. I have worked on many movements from all Seiko lines over the past 20 years, but in all fairness have not worked on the 4R26 movements found in the SRP line so I cannot yet judge the merits of this argument . I have one in the mail now so I will be anxious to see for myself, but I suspect that these movements will prove just as robust as there predecessors in actual real world use with the advantage that genuine Seiko parts will be available from Seiko for a number of years yet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a mint 6306-7000 in my collection. Love that it looks like all the others but is so rare. Yes, the 6306-7000!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd choose the 6306/9 over the new Seiko anyday. In fact, it needn't be pristine; I don't mind a bit of patina or wabi in my vintage watches. I don't get the obsession for shiny new looking things!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a mint 6306-7000 in my collection. Love that it looks like all the others but is so rare. Yes, the 6306-7000!!!!
Wow! Please post the pics of your 6306-7000 :) We seldom see something like this. Thank you

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having a look at the prices of a pristine 6309, I would go for the new turtle version...

But taking into account the fact of wearing a vintage piece, from the 70s, fully running and in pristine conditions... would go definitely for a vintage one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts