The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to exercising (mainly running and cycling) I find that my preference lies squarely with Timex. I've tried lots of brands and while there are lots of competent products out there, I find that Timex's ironman line tends to have the right mix of real world functionality, affordability, reliability and ease of use that I generally seek. Yes there are watches with far more capability (even from timex), but for my needs these are my two favorites:

For cycling my favorite is the T5E4319Z Black O.V.A. I love it because it mounts on the inner side of your wrist, so it faces you while your hands are on the handle bars. No need to lift your hands from the handle bars to see the time or your routine record. Also the lap button has bee moved to the top of the case, making it far easier to operate by touch alone. There is a metal finished version of this watch which is also very good looking.:

For running (and going to the gym) the T54933 100-lap Ironman Triathlon (IMHO the best "real world" all around sports watch ever made) is my watch of choice. not only is it capable, but the soft nylon strap with it's velcro lock make it functional and very comfortable while exercising.

So chime in, which are your favorite digital watches for exercising and why?

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I use my G-shocks for exercising.
I just feel like they could take a hit if something happened.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I always use a Polar F6 with HRM which I really really REALLY hate! I have to use a HRM (with coded frequency), but so far haven't found any substitute for that piece of crap. On my left wrist I use an analogue diver, because of the lume.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I train- I do different things
weights- I kind of go over board, I dont realy wear a watch for that.

Running after years of doing it is kind of out- so its other kinds of things
sprints, jumprope, lots and lots of interval training doing conditioning stuff
like jumps, kettle bell crap, and lots of Tabata- its a way to track interval work.

I had an excellent Nike watch with two interval timers, super easy to use
rugged as hell, slim profile, and paired with its heart monitor it was great.

I now have a sunnto that is a pain in the ass.
what the nike did simply the Sunnto makes complex

the only thing I wanted the watch for was the heart rate interval timer combo
and I traded a nice G to get it.
I digress.

I need multiple timers, yes it has great features, like altitude, temperature,
both of which work only off the body the ABC display is nice but more on that later.

Basically I am saying the Suunto sucks.
the backlight is weak
its a battery hog.
the interval timers are OK but the alarm or beep for them is near nonexistant.
my biggest beef with the suunto is the buttons -
the buttons on the sides of the case are too easy to bump
always sending me out of training mode and into time or memory
Or even better they buttons get hit and stop the timer.

I think I need a new watch to train in.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know which Suunto you are using, but I agree with your assessment of things being unnecessarily complex for certain applications. Personally, GPS and pc downloads are not necessary for the overwhelming majority of excercise and sports that I engage in. for me a self contained well thought out piece, with a legible display and easy to activate features is hugely important. Give me the time, multiple timers, a count-down timer, multiple alarms and a well thought out and large display, and I'm a happy camper. Thus far, for my uses, the closest I've seen any company get to my preferences is Timex, with their Ironman Triathlon range. They still come up a little short, but I don't see any other company matching them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts