The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have you guys seen the price of a certain 6105-811x on the 'bay that hit $1k+? it's got a RELUMED dial. am I the only one that thinks that is insane?

sorry, but in my eyes, a relumed watch automatically loses at least 50% of it's value right off the bat without taking anything else into consideration and we go down from there.

<*shark >>><

·
2,237 Posts
have you guys seen the price of a certain 6105-811x on the 'bay that hit $1k+? it's got a RELUMED dial. am I the only one that thinks that is insane?

sorry, but in my eyes, a relumed watch automatically loses at least 50% of it's value right off the bat without taking anything else into consideration and we go down from there.

<*shark >>><
But what is the 'value' ......... it's what the market decides :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I saw that earlier and wondered if it would be brought up here. I'm bitter because I sold mine probably at least 5 years ago and now I regret it.
At the time it was the right decision - I had about $450 tied up just in restoration costs and decided that was excessive for that particular watch. Luckily the watch cost me nothing and I sold it for what I had into it as I recall. The fun for me had been searching out all the original parts - right down to one of the last remaining original straps, don't remember how much it was but it seemed a lot when a generic could be had for $8. The not so fun part was that a well known dial house couldn't get the dial right after 2-3 tries and refused to try again since they considered it to be perfect. Ah well, at least they waived the charges.
I get the whole wabi thing and it's a nice fantasy to wish for an all original watch. The collector value, at least in the Rolex world, is definitely diminished but by how much only the buyer or winning bidder can decide.
Bottom line is that 50% loss of value is ridiculously high IMO and as these things get rarer and rarer more leeway has to be given. Let's face it - an original dial is a pretty ugly thing at this point with the chemical changes and no chance of reversal of the damage.

·
Registered
912 Posts

>>
What's the listing?
A relumed dial won't drop the price by 50%
Price is purely based on condition and originality of parts. A mint condition watch with very nicely relumed dial and hands can be worth far more than the same watch with crappy lume. But it does depend how well it is done, only because this effects the condition. Crap lume jobs lower the condition, lower the price.

I have sold several 6105's. Some relumed some not. Either way, £700.

And this is the next one...

Attachments

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the listing?
A relumed dial won't drop the price by 50%
Price is purely based on condition and originality of parts. A mint condition watch with very nicely relumed dial and hands can be worth far more than the same watch with crappy lume. But it does depend how well it is done, only because this effects the condition. Crap lume jobs lower the condition, lower the price.

I have sold several 6105's. Some relumed some not. Either way, £700.

And this is the next one...
let me qualify my position. I think it would drop value to anyone "in the know." I personally don't think any WIS, or even a semi-WIS person, would pay for a relume on par with original (I'm talking about an average, good conditioned dial, not one that should be thrown away - and there are many out there that should be).

your position is that 50% might be high with regards to value reduction, but is that from the perspective of dealer or collector? big difference.

in any event, someone overpaid by 10 or 15 years for the watch =)

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it this is the one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RAR...105-8009-MEN-039-S-DIVERS-WATCH-/221588865408

I'd be more concerned about the case polishing, the need for servicing and the fact that the seller knows its not waterproof.

Other than that, I'd rather buy a well relumed dial rather than the black mouldy lume seen on many 6105's.
no, it's the one mike posted.

I guess I'm from the camp that I wouldn't buy either type... a relume or one with the dreaded black crap on it. that stance has cost me a couple of times, but it's served me well for the most part.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
549 Posts

<*shark >>><
i agree
a relume destroys a watch and so does polishing
puting on fake lume is like puting on fake parts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If it's the auction that I posted, It doesn't look like it's been re lumed to me. Looks to be a nice original piece. of course it should be for that price.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I believe this is the eBay auction being discussed...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Sei...401579766?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item23403cc4f6''

The watch sold for 1600.00 and was restored by IWW. I have seen a couple of Jack's relumes and they are rather quite good, if not excellent. IWW not only matches the color, but the texture of the lume. It is all a matter of preference and opinion. Personally, I prefer all original and would not have paid 1600.00 for this particular watch, however, I guess if you wait 20 years or so, it might be difficult to determine if watch was ever relumed.

·
Administrator
30,726 Posts
Ebay is such a fickle site when it comes to valuing. I'm sure anyone who has ever sold anything has found this. You can sell the same watch and get a 50% difference in sale price which is significant at $200 and over.
I have marveled at this little number that sold on eBay.
I know it's a running man but...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131329965074
There are a couple of dealers in OZ that always seem to get good prices :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ebay is such a fickle site when it comes to valuing. I'm sure anyone who has ever sold anything has found this. You can sell the same watch and get a 50% difference in sale price which is significant at $200 and over.
I have marveled at this little number that sold on eBay.
I know it's a running man but...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131329965074
I got two of my 6309s from that seller, and both great watches.
Totally agree with your comment though, I've passed watches by thinking they'd sell for a lot of money and don't, and the ones I watch go for hundreds.
Regards, David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts