The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
I can never get my head round when someone selling something has a cash price and a trade price, same item same price, yes, no ?

If X is worth Y then X is worth Y whether it is sold or traded or am I missing something ?

Registered
I've wondered this also, with the trade price more often than not been higher than the cash price.
My thinking was the higher trade price allowed for more room to bargain as two watch prices had to be set simultaneously for the deal to occur and the cash price was lower as it was a more straight forward transaction and probably more preferred.

I've also wondered why sometimes people only offer an item for trade only as it limits their prospect of a sale 馃

Registered
I encountered this years ago in the firearms community; quite common there.

The rationale I understood was that the seller was implying that they'd prefer cash, but they'd accept something else in trade but at a discount (thus higher "trade" price on their item) because of the reduced liquidity/less desire they had for the trade item. It makes some sense viewed that way.

E.g. - I'd like to sell my 7A28-7079 for $200. BUT, if you're going to offer me your Presage "Cocktail Time," I'd like a notional $250 against your $300 ask - I'll give you my watch and $50 for your Presage.

On the other hand, isn't this why we invented money in the first place with clamshells? ;)

Registered
Yes the whole trade thing relates to finding a buyer who doesn't want to part with cash or maybe just a little.

I have an active one now but really rather I found a buyer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts