The Watch Site banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Poet Laureate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone know where to source a FE348BAA2? It's a case back gasket for an M705, which is a flat gasket with a 34.8 mm I.D. Thanks!

·
Poet Laureate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I don't see anywhere where it says the FE348BAA1 has the same dimensions as the FE348BAA2, but I ordered one, so I guess we'll see. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
and Cognoscente ... 15J Quartz Chrono's
1,857 Posts
Get a generic one. All you need is od and id.
Really all you need is id. :)
C'mon Paul. You're being flippant again. Deliberately I suspect. ;) It's that kind of rash throwaway comment that gets you in Noah's bad books. Seiko give their case-back gaskets different part number suffixes for a reason. I use (Labanda repro') FH3180B0A and FH3181B01 (and FE318BA12 in the past) on my Seiko 7A38's and their O.D.'s and cross sections are all slightly different - for that very reason.

Incidentally, I use a very specific Cousins (ISO Swiss sourced) generic O-ring case-back gasket on my Orient J39's. Had some 'fun and games' with a recent order, where Cousins supplied an incorrect part (in packets that had been erroneously re-labelled with the part number that I'd ordered). :mad:

Cousins don't have the best of reputations when it comes to Customer Service - specifically Returns. After some gentle coercion they came good in the end and supplied correct F.O.C. replacements. (y)
I wrote it up on a thread on my forum if anybody's interested.

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
C'mon Paul. You're being flippant again. Deliberately I suspect. ;) It's that kind of rash throwaway comment that gets you in Noah's bad books. Seiko give their case-back gaskets different part number suffixes for a reason. I use (Labanda repro') FH3180B0A and FH3181B01 (and FE318BA12 in the past) on my Seiko 7A38's and their O.D.'s and cross sections are all slightly different - for that very reason.

Incidentally, I use a very specific Cousins (ISO Swiss sourced) generic O-ring case-back gasket on my Orient J39's. Had some 'fun and games' with a recent order, where Cousins supplied an incorrect part (in packets that had been erroneously re-labelled with the part number that I'd ordered). :mad:

Cousins don't have the best of reputations when it comes to Customer Service - specifically Returns. After some gentle coercion they came good in the end and supplied correct F.O.C. replacements. (y)
I wrote it up on a thread on my forum if anybody's interested.
Flippant - never, well maybe occasionally but most generic flat seals are just as good as manufacturer's especially some of the NOS branded ones :)

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
Generic gaskets are sometimes necessary when dealing with vintage watches, but understand that for the enthusiasts here who want the best functionality it isn’t always the first choice, and that watches are three dimensional- so too are their gaskets. Sometimes all dimensions matter (not just ID, but also OD and height), and even hardness and profile. seiko diver’s bezel gaskets come to mind as an example- they experience frictional forces every time the bezel is moved, and their properties are critical for long-term positive action of the rotating bezel. Enthusiasts will appreciated a bezel that rotates as intended with the proper amount of resistance, and in my experience the best way to achieve this is a genuine Seiko gasket.

nzwatchdoctor, I hope you would admit there is a earned wisdom in knowing the difference between what properties matter in a given dealing scenario, and for non-professionals who might not have this experience, they will be best served with a genuine gasket where available.

·
Craftsman
4,008 Posts
I have some oem FA348BAA1's. I can send you one to try if you like. It will be quicker then waiting for a package from across the pond.

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Generic gaskets are sometimes necessary when dealing with vintage watches, but understand that for the enthusiasts here who want the best functionality it isn’t always the first choice, and that watches are three dimensional- so too are their gaskets. Sometimes all dimensions matter (not just ID, but also OD and height), and even hardness and profile. seiko diver’s bezel gaskets come to mind as an example- they experience frictional forces every time the bezel is moved, and their properties are critical for long-term positive action of the rotating bezel. Enthusiasts will appreciated a bezel that rotates as intended with the proper amount of resistance, and in my experience the best way to achieve this is a genuine Seiko gasket.

nzwatchdoctor, I hope you would admit there is a earned wisdom in knowing the difference between what properties matter in a given dealing scenario, and for non-professionals who might not have this experience, they will be best served with a genuine gasket where available.

I've never had a customer come back to me in the 7/8 years I've been back watchmaking with a seal that has failed - whether genuine, re used old or generic. I always use generic in divers bezels and they're excellent. When I want a back or crown / pusher seal I turn my chair around, open my draw and get one out of my generic selection. :)

Model specific seals are needed at times and have their place but that is about shape rather than quality.

·
Special Member
3,063 Posts
Well the gasket I posted a link to at cousins perfect fits my M705
i did quite a bit of research before ordering

·
Poet Laureate
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have some oem FA348BAA1's. I can send you one to try if you like. It will be quicker then waiting for a package from across the pond.
Thanks for the offer, I've got the one from Cousins on the way, I don't mind waiting. Thank you everyone who has given me well researched, actionable advice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts