The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am wondering where the Presage sits in the Seiko line-up. The SARB line is their mid tier watch. Is the Presage above or below the SARB?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just as soon as Seiko open that promised boutique in my world famous capital city, and I can, at last, from the depth's of my retirement home, doing 0.5km an hour on my zimmer frame, and burst through the shop door to get my actual physical hands on one, I will let you know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
X>B so above?
Not sure to be honest. Both mid/upper level - in my view anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Maybe side by side?, the Seiko catalogue has some kind of order in it, and they're shown side by side here. 2015

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Presage Line is intended as a dress watch line in the 30000 yen to 100000 yen range (mid-tier). As the post above states, it exists alongside the SARB series (which are more sporty) price-point wise. I recall seeing Chinese celebrities being used in marketing brochures, so the target is also Asian customers looking for "made in Japan" mechanical watches while on trips to Japan rather than the under 30000 yen Seiko mechanicals made in Malaysia or China.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love a lot of the Seiko's, but i insist on having 'em in my mitts over a cup of coffee in an actual shop. This is not possible, and as dear old seiko choose an ultra nationalistic stance on their goodies and refuse to ship 'em, I'm left with the dross in my city's shops, and my country's seiko website. I have therefore had to go to the Swissies well ahead of time. How an internationally respected brand can't export is utterly beyond me.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I love a lot of the Seiko's, but i insist on having 'em in my mitts over a cup of coffee in an actual shop. This is not possible, and as dear old seiko choose an ultra nationalistic stance on their goodies and refuse to ship 'em, I'm left with the dross in my city's shops, and my country's seiko website. I have therefore had to go to the Swissies well ahead of time. How an internationally respected brand can't export is utterly beyond me.
Seiko is not nationalistic, they only want to protect their official sales and dealers overseas. All they prohibits is Japanese re-sellers advertising for export. Low and behold it still happens.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
The Swiss watch industry isn't well known for being protective, is it? Erm, Swatch group won't sell parts to non dealers, stopped supplying even to Swiss competitors ( hence them using Seiko movements rights, to build on) COSC competition closed to non Swiss watches....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seiko is not nationalistic, they only want to protect their official sales and dealers overseas. All they prohibits is Japanese re-sellers advertising for export. Low and behold it still happens.
Rubbish. They produce their best watches, get them reviewed internationally, win Geneva awards, say, for their spring drive, and utterly refuse to export them outside the JDM. Across the board, from low to high end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Swiss watch industry isn't well known for being protective, is it? Erm, Swatch group won't sell parts to non dealers, stopped supplying even to Swiss competitors ( hence them using Seiko movements rights, to build on) COSC competition closed to non Swiss watches....
The Swiss watch industry exxxxxxxxxxpooooooorts ALL of it's watches, Swatch insist on it, and the individual brands concur. And the top enders do as well. Tag Heuer were using ETA movements and then declared to the world that 'they had got an original movement'. They were too lazy to develop their own, so they went to seiko and thought no one would notice. But hey, you can buy 50% of a Seiko now outside the JDM.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Rubbish. They produce their best watches, get them reviewed internationally, win Geneva awards, say, for their spring drive, and utterly refuse to export them outside the JDM. Across the board, from low to high end.
Welcome to the forum! Stick around a little and maybe get a better idea of the current state of Seiko export efforts. Dealers for higher end watches such as Spring Drive have been around for several years now (at least here in the States), and Boutiques that offer Grand Seiko are also making appearances in several countries. There have been several enjoyable posts from members across the globe visiting such places, along with describing the events these establishments host. These often have a Seiko master watchmaker present to showcase their talents and the product.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
As been mentioned to you two or three times here, that not rubbish. Seiko only wants to sell by official channels at the price they dictate. If you are not OK with these prices, just don't buy.

That is true for all models, from low to high end. Only few models are really made for the domestic market, and many are honestly forgettable (Dolce, etc).

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
The Swiss watch industry exxxxxxxxxxpooooooorts ALL of it's watches, Swatch insist on it, and the individual brands concur. And the top enders do as well. Tag Heuer were using ETA movements and then declared to the world that 'they had got an original movement'. They were too lazy to develop their own, so they went to seiko and thought no one would notice. But hey, you can buy 50% of a Seiko now outside the JDM.
And still, Omega and Rolex refuse to sell parts to third party watchmakers - if that isn't protectionism, what is? TAG Heuer were too lazy? - you really are lacking in fact and don't even bother to read why they actually did use Seiko. In one sentence you're bigging up the Swiss and then they're too lazy? Try and write an unambiguous post and sort out your allegiances, one way or another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will never big up Tag Heuer, they are simply not respected among the 'tube horologists. I popped in to central London and all was on display, and there were boutiques for nearly all, even IWC, Montblanc and other fairly obscure Swissers. What good is an 'official channel' when you can't get your hands on one physically before purchase? 'At least here in the States' doesn't cover the rest of the developed world, and last time I looked London wasn't a village in Belize -no offence to Belize intended. I would have snapped up one of the 2015 Marine masters, not a chance. Maybe one of the upper Sumo's or an humble Monster version 3 instead? Nope. 400 yards from my house are two shops selling Tissot. I wanted a sarb 033, I settled for a Le Locre. The shop seiko's are garbage or quartz. And Riley, compare the seiko.com to the seiko.co.uk site. I'm not talking about selling or not selling parts, I'm just saying that I can't physically buy a decent Seiko in the London shops. Mind you, we (London) only have a measly population of 14 million. I can forgive 'em their less than stellar bracelet quality, and their only one year guarantee, and all I wanted was a 6R15 movement, I'm not asking for the earth. Will we get even the Presages? Nope.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Grand Seiko UK doesn't have a store in London (yet) but has it in 4 other cities.
http://www.grand-seiko.com/store/europe/uk.php

Beside that, in the era of hi-res pictures, videos, and with the tens of of great reviews I don't see how compelling is the need to check a watch in person before buying. I think many that do then buy online anyway for the saving.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys, we are going a bit off topic here. Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Welcome back 7S26b.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts